• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse [TOTM Nov 2011]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse [TOTM Nov 2011]

Postby thetangman » Tue 15 May, 2012 8:29 am

Absolutly awesome.
The best aquascaping i have seen yet IMO.
Am going to use these ideas in my tank build which is happening now.

Very wel done mate, its a tribute to your hobby.
Cheers Nathan Bennett

May the forth be with you.... always!

My 6.5x2.5x2.5 LED and RLSS Reef Tank Journal!!!!
thetangman
RTAW Reefer
QLD Reefer

Postby Daz the reefo » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:51 pm

kell wrote:Hey Ollie. Was just looking through your photos. We need an update :)

is she still running mate? i hope so. you must be away for work alot i'm guessing? :angel:
Reefing Rulz

Daz's Reefing Adventure 4x2x2 ATI (Now closed down)
Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 6:30 pm

Probably time for an update.

Well how hasn't time flown by? I'll have to try to list the changes over that time.

2012 - By about April you couldn't even see in the tank anymore. I was due to be married in October and there was less and less time devoted to anything else. I think macro algae started getting out of control in the DT further suppressing any motivation for the tank. It stayed in this sorry state for a while.

2013 - Started new job, only drawback was it was based in Perth. Ultimately my commute was getting home for a couple of nights once a month. There's no denying 2013 was pretty shite (even moreso than this year if you believe). The tank was just ticking over with the wife (whom stayed in Wollongong the whole time) taking care of feeding and top-up water.

2014 - Early in the year wifey visited me in Perth for a weekend. I remember when she called telling me she'd got home and all the fish died. The main pump failed. With 750W of halides it would have only been a matter of time; the chiller is dependant on the main pump to get the chilled water to the DT. Many of the corals were hit hard too. Better news in March, we were expecting our first baby. This triggered some decisions such as committing to a permanent Perth move necessitating the closure of the tank. Short lived though as my employer closed the Perth base - I was relocating to Sydney by Feb 2015. The few remaining corals and clams ticked over until...

2016 - Bought a house in Sydney and had to move after selling our place in Wollongong. Tank had to go and everything packed into boxes. The stand was squeezed through the door into my workshop room and the tank in the garage on moving dollies.

The good news is that the stand has moved into position. This basically required me to pull it apart despite getting it into the workshop in one piece (sans the decorative trim) although I did need to remove the door from the garage to the workshop and persuade it through the opening with a sledge hammer.

The sad news is that I'm probably updating to an empty house.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Daz the reefo » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 8:12 pm

Wow, similar thing happened to me too, sold it all in readiness to build our new house, congrats on the wedding and moving
Reefing Rulz

Daz's Reefing Adventure 4x2x2 ATI (Now closed down)
Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Basenji » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 4:46 pm

Hey Ollie,
Good to hear from you. Tank crash while you're away is the worst. Glad that it hasn't beaten you are you're ready to saddle up again.

That might be the case, but the good news is that you chose to visit on a day that the board is actually working. Has been down for a couple of months, and only came back up in the last week or 2.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 12:54 am

Daz the reefo wrote:Wow, similar thing happened to me too, sold it all in readiness to build our new house, congrats on the wedding and moving

Hi Daz :wavey: I take it you managed to build the house? Was that at your place when you had the tank or did you end up moving? Any plans to get your toes wet again?

Basenji wrote:Hey Ollie,
Good to hear from you. Tank crash while you're away is the worst. Glad that it hasn't beaten you are you're ready to saddle up again.

That might be the case, but the good news is that you chose to visit on a day that the board is actually working. Has been down for a couple of months, and only came back up in the last week or 2.

At least it's still here I suppose. I half expected to get a 404. I re-read my TJ to help remember what I did. I also reviewed the many pics I took. Primarily I was looking to remember how I had constructed the stand. I knew that I built it so that I could be taken apart but I had forgotten the detail. I also recalled that liquid nails was involved but as it turned out the adhesive let go of the 3mm ply quite easily and without mess. I was pretty sad to lose those fish compounded by being 4000km away from the tank at the time.

What I do remember is how much power this thing consumes. Given my current circumstances where I've been stood down for the past 6 months and which is looking to go on a fair bit longer too I approach this with some trepidation even with the 5KW solar array on the roof. Then again it might take me another six months to get it wet. Everything these days just seems to take ages to do - I blame the kids :baby: . That's on top of the usual 5min job taking 3 hours.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 2:21 am

So I've disassembled the stand and reassembled it in its new location. Originally a peninsular the tank's new location only lends itself to a more traditional placement. I do still have the end accessible to viewing.

FTS of sorts:

Even though the inside of the tank stand was painted with oil based paint, the salt spray got under it. The timber is still pretty good but it would have just been a matter of time before it really deteriorated. I had a product on hand to seal out water at a molecular lever or so it touts - Shower Plug. I applied it to the two middle legs and a bit around the bottom of the formply. With the inevitable spills I found that salt water had started to foul the ply veneer at the bottom. I did originally silicone around the inside perimeter. I didn't expect it to but the silicone held all the way around without lifting anywhere so I'll reapply this treatment too.

I've also picked up some new black signwriter's vinyl to apply to the "back" of the tank.

In the meantime I set up the sump on the garage floor and tipped a 2 litre container of vinegar in with water to circulate for a bit and loosen the old build up which never got cleaned when the tank was shut down. It was a bit weak given about 120L of water is required to get to a minimum level. I also made a couple of changed. I'll post those another time. Should be in bed.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 2:23 pm

After some robust discussion with the wife there's been a change of plans. Very nearly abandoned the idea of setting the tank up again but happy wife, happy life right?

I've been convinced to take to the kitchen with a saw. This will position the tank as a peninsular set-up again. So didn't need to get the signwriter's vinyl :konk:

The sump has been cleaned and ready to go.

The silicone I placed around the base of the stand appeared to have worked well. I expected it to not hold on the form ply but it did and has now been re-applied this time to the entire inside of the stand rather than just around where the sump was placed.

I took the covers off the chiller to find a bit of rust. Gave it a bit of a rub down and then sprayed the base with lanolin.

I mentioned a couple of changes to the sump. Originally I had five holes from a Calfo style over-flow from the Macro Algae chamber. This resulted in noise and bubbles into the return chamber. I took to it with the angle grinder. The Calfo weir had to be removed and I'll probably replace it with an eggcrate fence as the noise and bubbles are significantly reduced without it. The micro bubble problem is still yet to be resolved but I may get away with it by moving the return pump to the front chamber. I'll have to wait until all the plumbing to the tank is in place though.

The second change is to the return chamber where I've drilled another hole. I don't know why I hadn't done this before. It is an easy redundancy to build in. The last change was to the entry chamber on the left where I've cut a small escape into the chamber before the macro. The entry chamber runs about 95% full. The cut I've made won't take the full flow but will absorb short term increase in flow or partial blockage of the exit to either the DSB (left) or drain (32mm bulkhead). The other solution was to increase the size of the bulkhead up to 40mm. This is still on the cards btw.

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Basenji » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 3:28 pm

Where are the microbubbles generated? Is it from the skimmer or from water entering the sump?
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 7:45 pm

As the water goes over the baffle into the return the fall is enough to reintroduce bubbles since it is only a half bubble trap. Problem is that I can't really have the third baffle of the over-under-over unless it is able to vary in height given the changing level of the return. Possibilities as it stands is a third baffle made of some coarse matting or relocate the pump to the front part of the return. Although I don't recall there being an issue with bubbles into the display when it was running before so it may just be a perceived problem. All the bubbles on the journey from the display to the sump and the skimmer should be captured by that last section. The macro in that chamber just before the return catches anything remaining only to make new ones just before the return.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 11 Oct, 2020 12:43 am

I'd been looking to find replacement crushed marble for the DSB. Called a few places in Sydney but the closest I got was marble dust. I came across White Rock Industries in Raglan(Bathurst) which stock white crushed marble in multiple sizes including #00 and smaller but wasn't about to make a special trip. I did however find myself camping with the boys in the Hampton State Forest (Jenolan/Oberon area) this week, conveniently located just under an hour from Raglan. Picked up a 25kg bag of #00 as well as 25kg of .6-.8mm. Still yet to lift the tank onto the stand though.

Unpacked some of the old equipment too. Gee I spent some dollars on rust and disappointment. I'll make some long term review posts soon.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby pilonstar » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 2:45 pm

The problem I found with white crushed marble, any build up or little pebble gets into the magnetic cleaner and it scratched my glass so bad..
The irony: removing all the nutrients, only to add them all back as high priced supplements.
Live stream tank http://www.erickmiranda.com
pilonstar
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Previous

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)