• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Mason's Aquanano 40 (closed down)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Mason's Aquanano 40 (closed down)

Postby mason91 » Sat 04 Aug, 2012 10:34 pm

Introduction:
Hey, My name is Mason, I have been interested in keeping fish for a number of years but never had anything more serious than a small glass box with goldfish as inhabitants.

I had been looking into getting a small marine set up going for a little while and then all of a sudden I had a 250L aquaone 980T given to me for my birthday (thanks mate :thumbsup:)

After looking after this for a little while I got a small tang from the LFS and instantly the tank crashed with white spot (as did the LFS).

So recently I have moved house and started a fresh. I have an Aquaone Aquanano 40 - it is a small tank but very nice for the time that I have to spend on it.

System Objectives: Small color box to enhance the many hours of study I undertake.

System Type: Mixed reef

Display System: Aquanano 40

Strike up Date: May 2012

Display Tank: 40 x 40 x 40cube

Display Lighting: 120w LED unit from itzmatty :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stand: Next to tele (extended entertainment unit)

Hood: N/a

Sump: Kinda have a sump section in the back. I will pull out the bio balls and add a small amount of rubble and a handful of macro

Refugium Lighting: Using stock lighting from tank to light sump (pics will explain)

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: Tunze 9025 (overkill but I will see how it goes)

Return Pump: stock

Skimmer: N/a

Evaporation Top Up: Manual RO

Hope you all enjoy. I will endevour to post pictures shortly :)

:banana:
Last edited by mason91 on Wed 16 Apr, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Mason's Aquanano 40

Postby mason91 » Sun 05 Aug, 2012 12:07 am

So having had this system up and running for a few months now, I have had a few pics taken, but just for the sake of it I think it more prudent to start from the start...

Tank STOCK - note light has been bent to the back to be used to light a fuge...

Building the stand for the LED's
(you probably won't notice but I have stuffed up the frame for the lights hahaha)

Heating water so I dont kill the live rock when I add to the tank (the rock has been cycled and used for well over 6months in a previous set-up)

Liverock plus a few snails from the old system

initial scape :)

side view

leds in place

cables, tried being tidy but.....well no real excuses but it could be worse :konk:

FTS at a distance, this is a little bright for the room but it will suffice for the time being (note: the tank will be moved house in approximately 6 months (pending) and then will be upgraded and used as a QT/hospital)

FTS - still cycling at this stage (the tank is set up at my folks house and I was yet to move home so not really cycling more so waiting for me to move home and do some work on it :thumbsup: )

Thanks for looking! :cheers:
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Sun 05 Aug, 2012 11:50 am

That was an excellent progression series of pics! Lol your right I couldn't see where you stuffed up the light stand, to me it looks great. Novel heating method for the water but heats the room and the water so to me its just cost effective :-).
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mason91 » Sun 05 Aug, 2012 8:16 pm

priscacara wrote:That was an excellent progression series of pics! Lol your right I couldn't see where you stuffed up the light stand, to me it looks great. Novel heating method for the water but heats the room and the water so to me its just cost effective :-).

Thanks :thumbsup: I have another haul of pics to put up shortly which should show the progression almost to date :)

haha yeah my family laughed at me for heating the water that way but I was being impatient and didnt have a spare heater so meh it worked good enough :)

Cheers,
Mason
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mason91 » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 4:02 pm

The wonders of live rock :)

Possibly a baby turbo? Not sure, as I haven't seen any before, either way he is pretty active (when I can find the little chap...)

the potential father? :) very interesting creatures :thumbsup:

First coral, was thinking more along the lines of softies and lps but I ended up getting a couple of small frags, I figure the lighting and flow are both good enough, can't see why I shouldn't at least give them a go, at the very least I will learn something :poke:

mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Thu 09 Aug, 2012 1:23 pm

Got to agree about the live rock, I'm finding new stuff each day :-) yet to find a snail though.
I might have a go with the sps down the track if I get rocks built up a bit higher, good luck with your frags!
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mason91 » Thu 09 Aug, 2012 9:57 pm

Looking for some constructive feedback here :poke: :thumbsup:
I have a couple more pictures for those interested :-D
baby clowns :)
small bubbletip
it roamed for a few hours before settling to where it is now (first pic)
first torch
I moved it to a little nook in the rock which fit perfectly!
frags chugging along nicely :thumbsup:
small hammer and green star polyp frag (thanks dan)
small duncans

I have enjoyed watching this change over the last month or so that it has actually been running where I can see it (as it cycled while I was not living in the same house)

everything has been very healthy and It has proved very relaxing to watch for hours at a time (even though it is very small) :-D

let me know what you think! or if there is anything else I can show/talk about that anyone is interested in :thumbsup: :cheers:

thanks,

Mason

p.s. - can anyone tell me what is attached to the sps frag - the one with the two pieces (small orange thing??) :cheers:
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby kit » Thu 09 Aug, 2012 10:13 pm

Nice setup! The orange mushroom thing attached to the frag looks like a Morph to me. (Coralli Morph)
http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Corallimorphs
kit
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby mason91 » Mon 13 Aug, 2012 3:50 pm

kit wrote:Nice setup! The orange mushroom thing attached to the frag looks like a Morph to me. (Coralli Morph)
http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Corallimorphs

I must admit it kinda looks like that from side on but I don't think it is, I will try and get a better front on picture of it but it reminds me more of a small snail or worm. but like fixed to the one spot. I often see two antenna sticking out of the opening if that gives a better indication as to what it is?

Thanks,

Mason
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mason91 » Mon 13 Aug, 2012 9:03 pm

So I managed to get a picture from front on, if anyone could tell me what it is I would be interested to know?

top picture you can see it has caught some mysis that the clowns missed and is munching it down (this is the first time I have noticed this so good timing :pirate: )

the second picture is what it normally looks like

Cheers,
Mason
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mason91 » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 4:29 pm

So about time for an update...

I have been shopping and got some really cool pieces, I think there is a small pistol shrimp in the tank somewhere because I can hear the odd loud click, and I have seen an exoskeleton floating around the tank, so I am assuming he doesn't mind the place.

My only question if I do have a small pistol shrimp (I would estimate less than 1 inch in side based on the exoskeleton) would it be okay to add a peppermint shrimp to take out a couple of aptasia?

pics after new corals in the tank only for an hour or so..

now after a few hours getting more acclimated.
Image - this really pops under the blue lights :-D
Image - moved up the top of the tank, more exposure to the LED's and thought it would free up some valuable realestate :)
Image - favourite coral!

thought I would add a FTS, the duncans are not appreciative at the moment, I believe one head munched a floating piece of hammer :konk:

thanks for looking
Mason :cheers:
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 8:44 pm

Its come along great guns! A good variety of corals I love that elegance, I just got a small one with pink tips and your blue looks excellent. How often do you do water changes? I'm already planning my next tank so working out what size I could manage (could also read how lazy I might become at times :-) ).

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mason91 » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 10:28 pm

priscacara wrote:Its come along great guns! A good variety of corals I love that elegance, I just got a small one with pink tips and your blue looks excellent. How often do you do water changes? I'm already planning my next tank so working out what size I could manage (could also read how lazy I might become at times :-) ).

The elegance would have to be my favourite coral at this stage.
I do a weekly water change of about 15 liters and chop the macro in the back fortnightly. Its been a resonably easy tank to keep thus far and everything is keeping healthy. :)
I would love another tank, I don't really have the room but I'm always looking into options :pirate:
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby DanMang » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 1:54 pm

Looking nice there brother. Can't wait to see those zoos carpet your tank ;)
My little carpet rock is going strong and I've already seen some progress in the past 3 weeks.
Can't wait to see the growth on those star polyps this arvo that I gave you,
Mine have gone haywire and am looking at where I can place them to cover some LR.
Also brother I've got a nice little torch you can have of you're keen? That I can drop around this arvo.
Let me know champion! Mixed reef is looking tops!
DanMang
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mason91 » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 4:47 pm

DanMang wrote:Looking nice there brother. Can't wait to see those zoos carpet your tank ;)
My little carpet rock is going strong and I've already seen some progress in the past 3 weeks.
Can't wait to see the growth on those star polyps this arvo that I gave you,
Mine have gone haywire and am looking at where I can place them to cover some LR.
Also brother I've got a nice little torch you can have of you're keen? That I can drop around this arvo.
Let me know champion! Mixed reef is looking tops!

Mate

good to see you have finaly notced the TJ :poke:
:roflmao:
when are you starting yours? ;)

I'll have to come around and see how the zoo bed and hammer garden of yours is going, everytime I see the tank the growth of everything is crazy :o

I'm sure I could find a spot to fit the torch for you mate, even if you want it returned when you set up the new tank I would be happy to hold some stuff for you
catch up soon mate :cheers:
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby saint » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 7:31 pm

Tanks coming along great mason!
I really like the rock scape and the overall clean look of it

Im curious to know what that red thing is coming out of your acan
saint
Centurion Reefer

Postby mason91 » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 9:18 pm

saint wrote:Tanks coming along great mason!
I really like the rock scape and the overall clean look of it

Im curious to know what that red thing is coming out of your acan

thanks :) I wanted a more bansai style set-up but without having the rock out of water for ages this is the best I could achieve (I got the rock from a former tank of mine and didn't want to have another long cycle) this is about the best I could do.

I would like to know what it is too, It has changed shape somewhat, I'll put up some more pictures, perhaps under the blue LED's?

:cheers:
Mason
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mason91 » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 7:03 pm

Just a quick update, I thought I would add a pic or 2 under the blue LEDs
sorry they aren't the best quality, just impresses me the colors that really shine under the right lighting, the acan is a burst of colour which totally isnt justified in this picture.

On another note, I would like to say a huge thanks to Trace for the hammer today, I managed to find a nice snug spot for it and thought I would share with a pic.
:cheers: :thumbsup:

thanks,
Mason
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Trace » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 8:01 pm

Looks much better in your tank than mine!
Trace
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby doctr-dan » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 10:00 pm

Hey mate, we have the same tank, I was wondering a couple of things,
1, do you find the pump is a bit to high?
2, If you have the pump on anything other than low it sucks the water out of the filter area quicker than it can get in from the main tank.
doctr-dan
Lurking Reefer

Postby mason91 » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 10:33 pm

I have actually turned the pump upside down and have it set roughly halfway. It did use to suck air but turning it over and keeping on top of the top up has meant that it doesn't anymore. I think if you keep having issues there is a pump you can replace it with that drawers water from a bit lower and is of a higher flow, alleviating (spelling?) the need for a second pump and using up real estste in the tank (providing you don't wish to look after anything that requires high flow) :thumbsup:
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby doctr-dan » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, do you know the name of the replacement pump?
doctr-dan
Lurking Reefer

Postby mason91 » Mon 03 Sep, 2012 7:13 am

I believe it is a red sea product. Trace told me about it. Apparently the guys down at aquariums at Asquith have them at a reasonable price :)
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Trace » Mon 03 Sep, 2012 7:20 am

It's a circ pump for a Red Sea Max130d. Fits perfectly and draws water from lower down. The adjustable nozzle is good as well.
Trace
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mason91 » Mon 03 Sep, 2012 8:48 am

Trace wrote:It's a circ pump for a Red Sea Max130d. Fits perfectly and draws water from lower down. The adjustable nozzle is good as well.

When you say that it drawers water from lower down did you need to cut the existing filter foam stuff to allow it to fit?
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Trace » Mon 03 Sep, 2012 9:27 am

I took that piece out all together, but yes you would have to.
Trace
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mason91 » Mon 03 Sep, 2012 2:05 pm

Trace wrote:I took that piece out all together, but yes you would have to.

Fair enough, So what are you running in the sump section?
You should start a TJ :poke:
:)
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby doctr-dan » Tue 04 Sep, 2012 8:24 am

I'm interested in what you run in that sump section as well. I've also read a few people have fitted another small power head below the standard one towards the bottom.
doctr-dan
Lurking Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Tue 04 Sep, 2012 9:18 am

Had a couple of those worm things in my tank too! They're really annoying! Kept putting out a long silk like web to catch food in the water column and it kept touching my sps. I put a blob of aquaneedit in its opening, problem fixed! :thumbsup:

Nice tank do far mate! Good luck!
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby mason91 » Tue 04 Sep, 2012 3:48 pm

ConnorMacRae wrote:Had a couple of those worm things in my tank too! They're really annoying! Kept putting out a long silk like web to catch food in the water column and it kept touching my sps. I put a blob of aquaneedit in its opening, problem fixed! :thumbsup:

Nice tank do far mate! Good luck!

thats not a bad idea! there is only one which is begining to cause me some grievance so I may take to the aquaneedit :devil:

mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)