• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Kris's 80L Aqua Medic Blenny [SHUT DOWN]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Kris's 80L Aqua Medic Blenny [SHUT DOWN]

Postby mrkris » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi All

Im Kris, long time admirer, first time reefer.

I have been right into heavily planted freshies for a fair while but after returning from overseas to a crashed tank i wanted to try something new! i was originally going to change the style of freshie to something a bit more high tech. I did some sums and with help from the bitter taste from losing my pride and joy, i persuaded myself into a nano reef.

I did a bit of research and found that the AM Blenny was perfect all in one for a noob reefer such as myself.

excuse the temporary ikea cabinet. turns out you get what you pay for :) i had to buy 2x16mm mdf sheets to sit it on.

I fired it up and put some water in it last weekend and ill be picking up some live rock this thursday. At the moment im running NSW bought from my lfs and top ups with RO. not done any tests apart from salinity thus far.

Ill be honest, im a bit of a cowboy, so for the first few weeks i wont really worry about tests (apart from salinity and ph) as i know whats going to happen. ill just do a daily 15-20% WC for a few weeks after the LR goes in. Then ill buy some test kits and go from there... :crossfingers:

System Objectives: Start off with a softie tank, may dabble in SPS as i progress

System Type: Small reef

Display System: AM Blenny

Strike up Date: 30/6/2012

Display Tank: All in one setup

Display Lighting: Stock Aqua Sun Spot (2 white, 1 blue X3)

Stand: Ikea Cheapie with some extra paneling for support

Sump: None

Refugium: None

Refugium Lighting: No refugium set up yet

Support systems:

System Water: NSW from LFS with RO Top Ups

Display Water circulation: Stock Nano Prop 5000

Skimmer: Stock Turboflotor 500

Evaporation Top Up: Manual top up

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: None, yet

Alkilinity Addition: None, yet

Other Chemical Maintenance: None, yet

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Kris
Last edited by mrkris on Sun 14 Dec, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Re: Kris's 80L Aqua Medic Blenny

Postby mrkris » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 11:47 pm

a quick note on some of the things im planning to get over the next few months.

stability being the key im planning on starting out with a bare essentials profilux 3 controller, just with ph, temp and a switching power board. some sort of chiller from guppies (closer to summer) and a schego heater. Tunze osmolator for ATO.

new lighting. i have read so many different things about OMG LEDs are the new MH in one article and completely opposite in another. So many differing opinions it can make it hard to read between the lines, so i might just stick with the stock lights for now...
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby lets_koko » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 12:52 am

I love this setting, saw it at reeflection last time...
lets_koko
Lurking Reefer

Postby priscacara » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 12:59 pm

The smaller tanks seem to be getting better and better, looking forward to following your journal.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kit » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 4:26 pm

I saw one of these at the LFS and it's a really nice tank.

Just a comment: I wouldn't bother with daily water changes; just top up the evaporation every few days.
You can actually do no water changes during the whole cycling process if you didn't want to.

As there are no fish in there, the water quality doesn't need to be pristine; and most of the hitchikers will survive the cycle anyway.
But of course, you can do water changes if you really wanted to; but there's no real need.
kit
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby mrkris » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 12:12 am

So here goes.

We have LIFE! :clap:

Instead of driving the missus insane whining about having the worst cold that ever existed (man flu is serious business) I took advantage of LFS late night shopping and a fresh live rock shipment.

I ended up getting 4 kilos and im pretty impressed with the little things ive seen so far.

2 snails, 2 little crabs, some closed polypy things and some little worm things in white tubes with bristles.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby priscacara » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 9:26 am

Nice! I think all you guys setting up new tanks suck though ( :-) ). Not really of course just a bit envious, I enjoy seeing them all come together and I'm learning for when i get mine.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby its_jono » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 3:37 pm

I agree with the anti-test kit bandwagon. We all know whats going to happen
its_jono
Lurking Reefer

Postby dorz » Sat 07 Jul, 2012 6:06 pm

looking good kris! where in adelaide are you? im assuming near marine+ somewhere?

will be keen to see what you do for flow and lighting...
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

Dorz' 3x1.5x1.7 Modded Aquamarine 900!
Dorz' NEW 4x2.5x2' Automated Bucket!
powered by ORD; obsessive reefer disorder
dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby mrkris » Sun 08 Jul, 2012 12:02 pm

dorz wrote:looking good kris! where in adelaide are you? im assuming near marine+ somewhere?

will be keen to see what you do for flow and lighting...

im in clarence park (sort of near the south road / cross road overpass) bit of a drive from marine plus but thats my LFS.

For flow i'll probably go with a MP10wes, jurys still out on lights.

The stock lights are kind of annoying, i cant really adjust them and the heatsink/surround leak light which is kind of annoying while we're watching tv etc. currently entertaining the idea of a slightly custom 24 led kit from rapidled. Theres no way i need 24 leds but i like the idea of that amount to get around the leds spotlighting. im thinking that ill replace some of the leds for UV ones on a separate driver.

Kris
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby dorz » Sun 08 Jul, 2012 8:04 pm

sounds like youve got a decent plan sorted!

im just up the road from you by the sounds of it, im in westbourne park (right near the train station).

good to see another local, you should check out the MASAOG society, its the country areas / tasmanian / south australian MASA group, great bunch of people, will help out with any questions, and if you join for $25 or so a year you get %5 or 10% off at most LFS :D
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

Dorz' 3x1.5x1.7 Modded Aquamarine 900!
Dorz' NEW 4x2.5x2' Automated Bucket!
powered by ORD; obsessive reefer disorder
dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby mrkris » Sun 08 Jul, 2012 11:36 pm

already paid my fee to masaog friday just gone :)
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby mrkris » Mon 09 Jul, 2012 11:34 pm

Update!

zero nitrite and ammonia for the past few days, only been testing for a few days though. on the first day there was a little bit of nitrite, no ammonia and 5ppm nitrates.

now im nitrite free for 2 days, no ammonia and 2ppm nitrates.

Rocks covered in diatoms and rocks/glass covered in xPods.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby Quiva » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 6:05 pm

Just wanted to wish you luck!
I've seen this tank empty as a kit at my LFS and its easily the best all in one i've seen. Very stylish too.

Happy Reefing.
"C'MON! Cycle already you bastard!"

My Skimz iBox tank journal: http://masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=240862
Quiva
RTAW Reefer

Postby GhostRPH » Tue 31 Jul, 2012 10:15 pm

Good to see another Blenny on here!

Best bit of kit for the $$$$$$ when starting out I thought, so much easier than buying/researching 100 different bits n pieces... :book: :-s

Looks good and coming along nicely for you!!

Heres mine btw:

viewtopic.php?f=144&t=240000&p=1044268#p1044268
GhostRPH
Lurking Reefer

Postby mrkris » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks guys.

So it's been a month. Progressing nicely.

Bit of a run down on whats been happening.

Ive been using NSW and RO for top-ups bought from my LFS, happy with the results with coraline growth so far (was expecting it to die), so ill stick to it and probably end up collecting my own.

Soonish after my last post i bought myself a strom. He's going nicely but i reckon he poops more than he cleans. I bought a lawnmower blenny which jumped out after 4 days. Discovered bristle worms (mild panic when i first saw it), bought myself a few corals and a pair of clownies. Sadly i think one of them got stung/spooked by one of the corals (was knocked over) and it jumped out this morning.

I borrowed a mates macro lens and took a few photos. More pics to come.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79350730@N ... 6306/show/
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 9:40 am

Looking good, I am doing a yasha at work... I couldn't say I love it but it is a nice tank. Personally I think that the lighting on it is not as good as it should be, though it does do the LPS... would love to put sps in there but I don't think that would end well.
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mrkris » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 9:39 pm

So, its been up and running for 9 months now. time for a quick update!

i have been a bit lazy over the past few months and now im paying for it. i had lots of awesome zoas/palys amongst other things which ive slowly lost over the past few months so my tank is looking a bit boring at the moment. i monitor nitrates and phosphates and those levels are low/non existent but i slacked of on water changes and my alk/mg/ca levels dropped a fair bit. ive fixed that issue this week.

New equipment ive bought since the last update:

Tunze osmolator
MP10WES
Kamoer dosing pump (still setting that up)
Hailer Chiller and a separate thermostat set at 26.5 (chiller paid for itself several times over during summer!!!!!)
TLF Reactor with rowaphos (contemplating bio pellets, jury's still out)

Still using NSW for water changes and RO for topups (from the awesome guys at marine plus)

I have mainly softies/lps corals at the moment and i wouldnt mid having a go at some more demanding corals.

i bought a couple of wild caught clownies after losing some captive bred ones (spooked by crabs and jumped out). i love their colours, so much more vivid orange/white, almost fluorescent in comparison.

Things that have made their way up the list and will be purchased in the not too distant future:

RO/DI unit from PSI. but this is more for personal reasons. i hate adelaide tap water so i tend to end up drinking a lot of soft drink. which has left me, lets just go with "larger than id like to be"
giesemann teszla LED unit. One of the blennys LED bulbs blew and they arent cheap to replace so i figure i may as well put that money (and a bucket load more) into something with a bit more oomph so i can dabble with SPS down the track.

I still need to do something about the cabinet, im running out of room to neatly hide things away.

Thats all for now

Kris.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby Jam89 » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 11:36 am

Tanks looking good! How did you mount your Tezsla? Just fixed to the black backing with the bracket?
Every time I see one of these tanks I want to upgrade my Yasha.
Jam89
RTAW Reefer

Postby mrkris » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 10:43 pm

cheers

i havent bought it yet. from what ive read the acrylic at the back isnt strong enough to hold it without some additional support.

Kris
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby mrkris » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 6:19 pm

So, i have bought the Teszla. i dont have it mounted properly (waiting on cade poles and the hanging kit to come in) and the tank is pretty messy (stirred up the sand) so i wont post pics just yet. i have it mounted on the back acrylic but i had to strengthen it with a pergola bracket just so i could play :)

ive had a bit of a play with it and imho the internal controller is a little average/disappointing. you set each channels intensity and you tell it when you want it to do the sunrise (push the button at the time you want it to start) and same goes for sunset. if you pull the power it doesnt remember anything and you have to set it all up again.

i knew it was simple but i thought it would at least save settings. Longer term it doesnt really matter as i will control it with a controller of some sort.

Kris.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby mrkris » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi Guys

I just thought id upload a few pics

These are instagram ones i uploaded probably about 6 months ago. Not a huge amount has changed since then.... I bought a new car and im trying to pay it off in 2 years and saving for a euro holiday so i dont have a huge amount to splurge sadly.

I mounted the Teszla with a DIY hanger i made out of galv tubing for about $15 from bunnings. What else, ive started mixing my own water and my hammer has bleached since im not using NSW anymore. No deaths so it looks like everything is stable enough for what i want to keep.

The Xenia on the left has quadrupled since i put the new light in.

I stopped dosing CA/ALK/MG because the coraline growth on the glass was getting too much :) i want to get a little clam soon so ill have to start again.

thats all for now :)

Kris.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby mrkris » Wed 06 Nov, 2013 11:39 pm

bit of advice for people researching Aquamedic Blenny's... basically a list of things i wish i had done from the beginning.

GET IT DRILLED! even if youre not going to use a sump straight away it would make my life much easier if i had of gotten it drilled and plugged up the standoffs in the beginning. theres room in the back but its a very tight squeeze once you try and get chiller pumps, heater, phosban reactor, ato, skimmer etc etc in there. its a nightmare to manage.

use the nano prop for subtle circulation only. if you turn it right up it just moves all of the sand from the front left corner. grab yourself a mp10, thats more than enough.

the lights that they come with as standard are ok for most softies but you wont get much growth. they are expensive to replace globes on and frankly not worth it for the light that they dont put out. put that money into something like a teszla when a bulb blows. teszlas are good for a 50cm3 nano should you want to upgrade.

The skimmer in it is great when setup. they key to keeping it working is an ATO as its not very adjustable

the acrylic on the back and the guides that hold it in can be hard to clean if you dont stay on top of the coraline. also the acrylic is too weak to hang anything like a light off of it.

all in all i am very happy with the tank but i thought id put up a few negatives about it as most reviews out there dont really mention any of the cons.

feel free to shoot me a PM (might not see it for weeks if its just a forum reply) if you have anything else you would like to know about it. happy to help where i can

Kris.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 1:22 am

Looking good mate, keep the updates rolling :)
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mrkris » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 9:44 pm

its been a while so i thought i should upload a photo.

Not a lot has changed, ive grabbed a few bits of SPS so ive started dosing again. i stopped dosing previously because i didnt really have a lot that needed the CA and my coralline algae was growing at stupid rates

i added a TLF Phosban reactor to run rowaphos in which was great until the rubber elbows perished and leaked water down behind my tank. My teszla has also become faulty, all in all it works but i cant set the timer or any of the intensity so its been running 12hrs on 12 off for a while.

excuse the potato quality, i just took a quick pic with my iphone.

mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby mrkris » Mon 24 Nov, 2014 2:33 am

well that was fun while it lasted.

I was doing my nightly routine of fish feeding before i head off to bed and i noticed that it was a little damp. at first i thought it may have been my ATO line that had fallen out of its holder. i noticed that it was pointing slightly up so i re jiggered it, cleaned up the water and though nothing more of it. problem solved right? NO!

while i was picking up the towel from the carpet i noticed more water on my cabinet. i hunted around and found a tiny pin hole leak in the silicone down on the bottom corner. Chaos and mayhem ensues. tried finding the aqua knead it, must have tossed it. found some aquarium silicone from when i was gluing something in the back of my tropical years ago, all dried up. Officially panicking by now. Had to wake the missus. i had the missus hold the leak while i drained it all and transferred everything and the bare essential equipment into an old tank we had a turtle in years ago.

so here it is on its final day. i won't get it fixed, i've been thinking about a new one for a while so theres no time like the present hey! it may survive as a refugium/sump but im a little bit bitter about it so the jury's still out.

RIP Blenny. Its been a blast! :angel:

mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby wayne2.0 » Mon 24 Nov, 2014 7:38 am

Bit of a nightmare, lucky you found it in time.

Good luck with the next tank.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Re: Kris's 80L Aqua Medic Blenny [SHUT DOWN]

Postby mrkris » Sun 14 Dec, 2014 1:05 pm

had another catastrophe.

This tank and all of its living creatures have all passed on.

i last checked everything late last week and it was all good, not so good this morning which all started with a "whats that smell?". its been hot, i hadn't had my chiller hooked up since the leak and my MP10wes must have been knocked off the side wall by one of my dogs. something died, started rotting and killed everything else.

RIP
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Re: Kris's 80L Aqua Medic Blenny [SHUT DOWN]

Postby aidanmary » Sun 14 Dec, 2014 1:22 pm

sorry to hear, hope you have more luck next time
aidanmary
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Committee

Return to Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)