• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Fluval Edge Sumped - Decommissioned

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Fluval Edge Sumped - Decommissioned

Postby ConnorMacRae » Fri 06 Apr, 2012 1:24 pm

Current FTS:

Introduction:

I started this tank because i really wanted to try salt water. I had kept fresh water fish for years and it seemed the next logical step! Originally the tank was set up around november but after an unfortunate tank crash i had to re-cycle the tank and start again :bawling: Thats when i decided to sump the tank, I'm pretty excited that the modifications are finally done. I'm hoping to run this tank with a relatively low cost (although i doubt that will really happen! :poke: ) and i hope that it will be fun and not too stressing.

System Type:

Mixed Reef, nothing too high maintenance at the moment

Display System:

Fluval Edge

Strike up Date:

Late December 2011

Display Tank:

Fluval Edge

Display Lighting:

DIY LED (4 x W, 4 x Royal Blue, 4 x Purple (UV)

Stand:

Bed Side Table

Hood:

The lid that comes with the tank

Sump:

DIY Acrylic sump

Refugium:

Got a DSB with some rubble in the sump

Refugium Lighting:

None yet

Support systems:

System Water:

NSW

Display Water circulation:

Eheim compac 300 and return

Return Pump:

Eheim compac 1000

Skimmer:
Reef Octopus NS-80

Evaporation Top Up:

Manual

Chemical Support:

-Calcium
-Iodine

Overflow box built before installation,

Cutting out where the overflow went

Overflow Glued in place

Acrylic Sump, Three compartments: 1. Skimmer, heater, filter (will run carbon) 2. DSB with LR 3. Return pump

FTS
Last edited by ConnorMacRae on Sat 01 Mar, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 12 times in total.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Re: Fluval Edge Sumped

Postby ConnorMacRae » Sat 07 Apr, 2012 3:51 pm

Was checking the tank this morning and i found that there was a drop in the water level in the return, i think this is a bit of the skimmer pulling stuff out and heat from lights/return pipe? Some questions if someone can help, when topping off water from the skimmer, should i use RODI or SW? Just a bit unsure about if the skimmer will pull out much salt or not. Also if anyone knew a good DIY auto top off system that they could link to me that would be amazing!!! :bow:

When i checked my tank this morning i also found a baby urchin! It must have been hiding in this hole for the last 2 or 3 months :nut: .

I also went off to Hurstville aquarium today and got a Yellow Coral Goby :clownfish:

Last edited by ConnorMacRae on Wed 02 May, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby AusSi » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 11:05 am

Nice rig brother!
I have contemplated putting in a sump in my fluval, your setup is certainly encouraging.

Isn't it noise being next to you head when you sleep at night?

For the top up, for a tank this size an auto top up system really shouldn't be used, for a couple reasons, one its so easy to do it manually, and two because as you said you dont know if the water is being removed by the skimmer or evaporation so with such a small water quantity you may get dangerous levels of salinity shift. however if you were so inclined i know tunze make an auto top up system and when looking for something that will regulate water levels you really dont have the option to go with something cheap because if it malfunctions your in the poo. Its called the Tunze Osmolator: http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=SE ... zeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter036

Something i used to do on my larger tank that may be of help was simply have a fresh water bottle above the sump with a constant drip going into the sump, this drip can be adjusted until you get close to the rate of evaporation and reduce the amount you need to top up manually, however keeping in mind that this still does not factor in salinity levels. With the skimmer removing water or salt, it depends on the skimmer and how you have it set up but its most likely removing salt water. On a tank your size it really should be removing much?
How often are you needing to empty the skimmer cp and roughly how much water is in it?

I get quite a bit of evaporation on the fluval edge, however i dont have a skimmer so I replace it with RO water mostly. That said I am always checking the salinity anyway to ensure it is kept at an optimal range before adding water.

Love you goby, he looks pretty happy in there and how much is there just nothing better than discovering a critter like a sea urchin out of the blue :)
AusSi
Curious Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 12:24 pm

Hey AusSi,

Did you have a TJ for it?

The noise isn't too bad, I've always had tanks in my room and i think that the skimmer and the sound of the pipes aren't really louder than an internal filter in my freshy.

I've seen the Tunze Osmolator around, its just more than I'm willing to spend on the system at the moment. I only really wanted to put one on the system because I'm away from the tank for a couple days at a time and i don't want the return pump to burn out. Ill probably have to use a float valve and just make sure i check the salinity most days.Not entirely sure with how much the skimmer is removing (only had it sumped for a couple days), but it seemed to be going at it pretty well yesterday. Is skimmers removing salt water a bit problem? :-s How on top of this do you think I would have to stay? I was emptied the cup both days, but there wasn't heaps in it and it was pretty light in colour. Still got to figure out how to do it and if its worth it.

The Goby's are great, ill have to get him a proper coral to hide in soon :pirate: the urchin was a pretty big shock, it would have been hiding for a couple months before i noticed it haha

Thanks for the advice
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 12:38 pm

Do people think the tank would be too small for a Gold Striped Maroon Clown? I'm just looking for another tank mate. Thanks for any stocking suggestions!
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby fishguy23 » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 7:21 pm

yes too small, a occelaris would work though
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AusSi » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 8:13 pm

What's a TJ?

Yeah I get that with the price of the tunze, sometimes is a little overkill.

Your skimmer should collect a little bit of water but not much, it should only about one quarter fill your skimmer cup once a week? how does yours compare with that?
If its higher getting on top of that should mean you wont need the auto top up or would be able to make due with the bottle drip suggestion I made.

I agree with the fish guy on the clown, thing is I had a clown on is own in my fluval (he was only the size of a pinky nail) but it broke my heat to see him all on his lonley so ended up getting him a mate. It a lot more commitment to a fish when you need to have 2 of them.
AusSi
Curious Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 12:28 am

I'd think that my skimmer is running a bit wet, but the water adjustment is completely open... so i can't make the water level any lower with the skimmer really? The amount of skimate in the bottle is about a day or two, can't remember if i emptied it yesterday or not :-s

Any idea's on how I could adjust the protein skimmer further? I don't think that i'd really be able to get it much higher than it already is.

I also marked the level that the water's at when its running tonight so i can see how much water loss i get in a day, then ill see how i need to go with a form of auto top off. As far as stocking goes, how many fish do you expect that i could have? And any suggestions? Would I be able to fit a pair of clowns in there with the goby (i wouldn't think so) :) I will be getting a peppermint shrimp in the tank when Hurstville next gets some in. My Goby has taken to sitting in a corner instead of around any of the rock work, any idea's as to why this might be happening? He was happily in the rocks yesterday when I put him in.

I also have a Green Star Polyp frag that I got last year, it was really hardy... Survived a tank crash and a cycle after the crash, but it got some algae/detrius build up on it and I'm unsure if I should leave it and see if it comes out, clean off the algae growth (not sure how) or if i just count it as gone :( . The coral have been really tough so far.

Also AusSi, I was just wondering if you had started a tank journal for yours or not?

Thanks again for all the advice! :cheers:
Last edited by ConnorMacRae on Wed 02 May, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby AusSi » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 1:00 am

Ohhh TJ = Tank journal, soz I am a little slow these days.
I don't have one just yet, but will probably start one once I get my new lights next week.

That does appear to be a lot of liquid for 1-2 days. Hopefuly someone else could help you with lowering this, it has been too long since I was running a skimmer to remember how to adjust it. I do believe that the water level of the tank is going to effect it so maybe you could move it to the shallower part of the sump... actually dont do that it was a blind guess, sorry i couldn't be more help on that.

As for stocking, I could throw out a number like 3 fish but this is highly inaccurate. It all depends on how well your filtration is working, how often you do water changes and so forth. I would suggest you just add the fish slowly and watch water parameters closely.
By the looks of what you have I would say 2 small clowns a goby and shrimp are fine.

How often are you doing water changes?
As for your goby, have you fed him? he may be searching around in the rocks for food?
Coral gobies like to perch themselves on coral SPS mainly like acropora, but will also perch on soft corals too, maybe a finger leather or something. Good for beginners like us.

Thats a green star polyp frag? man its seen better days!
That coral is super hardy, so no supprise it survived the cycle, but I would say your tank is still somewhat in a cycle, it is in the part of the cycle where cyanobacteria is at a high and the alge runs rampant hence why the coral is covered in it ( I may have sounded really smart just now but really I just finished reading thing: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=217958 ).

There is not a lot you can do for it I dont think, well for the alge covered sections anyway. Maybe you could re frag the parts that are not covered and put them in a spot with good lighting and slow water flow.

hope that helps.
AusSi
Curious Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Mon 09 Apr, 2012 1:39 am

Yeah, ill keep an eye out for you're journal. I've been reading your posts and it sounds like it will be pretty interesting.

As far as the skimmer goes, ill see if i can put it up a little bit higher if it keeps skimming how it is. Although for $50 I'm not going to complain too much

With the stocking i think ill aim for getting a pair of clowns in the future. Unless i find something else that i decide i must have :roflmao:

If I have enough money ill try get the goby something that it can perch itself in, i feel a little bad that he only has some rocks at the moment. Suggestions? I have fed him since i put him in, I'm not sure if he was eating much (or at all). He isn't hiding in rocks at all at the moment, just sitting in a corner on the sand :-s

No one was more surprised than i was when i noticed it had survived the crash and cycle! ill see if i can get some algae off it and see if it survives. Unfortunately its much too small to try frag.

Hopefully it all works out,

Thanks for all the help, get your journal going soon! :thumbsup:
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Thu 12 Apr, 2012 10:31 pm

Updating :clap:

Got a few Acro frags off wmackay, got two strawberry shortcakes and a try colour

Strawberry Shortcake

Another SSK

Tri Colour

Showing all of them

Hopefully they all survive :crossfingers:

Also built a LED light for growing macro in the sump, hopefully its bright enough. It have 20, 5mm white lead's. Five lots (wired in parallel) of four LED's (wired in series).

After being wired

Over the sump

Yellow Goby is still sitting in the corner of the tank, hopefully it will move out of there soon and sit around the rock!

Thanks for looking! Any advice of criticisms welcome :)
Last edited by ConnorMacRae on Wed 02 May, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 6:22 pm

I thought my coral goby was looking a bit sad today (thinking it wasn't eating) so i went and got it some frozen rotifers from the LFS. Came home and put some in and it looked pretty happy jumping around for food.

Also thought while i was there that i'd get a Duncanopsammia axifuga for it to sit in ...it looked a little sad sitting in the corner of my tank (just another excuse really :roflmao: ). It has a couple polyps that had died off, so I'm hoping that it will come back and survive. Does anyone know much about duncans? I couldn't find too much on reefpedia. Any good idea's apart from keeping the water good to keep it travelling well?

Last edited by ConnorMacRae on Wed 02 May, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:47 am

Put it in a position where it gets some medium flow, like an LPS colony! Not too much, but you want the polyps when open to "sway in the breeze" so to speak! Feeding each polyp 2 to 3 times a week (or more) with meaty foods like bloodworm, mysis, shrimp, etc.is pretty rewarding too! :thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby ConnorMacRae » Sat 14 Apr, 2012 9:35 pm

At the moment i have it positioned a bit behind where the return pump comes out, so not too much flow i'd say. I read that they should be positioned in a low/medium light area, so i might move it later tonight :thumbsup: I fed it some mysis this morning and it seemed to be okay. Hopefully it will look better in a few weeks.

Some pictures with its polyps out :) not the healthiest looking polyps but I'm sure they will grow to look healthy

I have some API test kits at the moment (nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph and alk) but i think i also need to get a few other test kits. I think i need calcium and iodine, magnesium? and others? I was thinking of going with Salifert, heard good things about them without them being too expensive. advice would be great :clap:

Was also thinking of ordering an auto top off at the same time, any opinions on the ones sold at guppies?

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/auto-top-up-system-parts-float-switch/auto-top-off-system-1m/prod_1728.html
Last edited by ConnorMacRae on Wed 02 May, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby astroboy » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 2:51 pm

Hey Connor

Great to meet you last week. I just re-read your TJ and you're off to a good start. Just a couple of items I picked up.

Skimmer: I tried that skimmer on my 80L nano a while back. From memory, the small piece of pipe on the outlet of the skimmer is what you use to tune it. I noticed that on the last photo (of your fuge light), you removed this piece. To tune this skimmer, you will have to put that piece back and you can twist it to control the water coming out of the outlet and the water level in the skimmer body. The skimmer appears to be skimming wet, which is what I found this skimmer to do when I had it. It is pretty hard to tune when new and will take upto 4 weeks of continuous running to break-in.

CUC: Getting a small pep shrimp will be good to clean up uneaten food before they break down. You're building up a fair bit of algae there. Get some baby turbos in there as well to help you out. Send NiCd a PM. He's an accidental turbo snail breeder in the Shire and see if he has any baby turbos available. They'll do a good job on that.

Now that you have some SPS frags, what you'll need to keep an eye on is Calcium and KH to keep them happy. Get test kits for these and adjust accordingly.

What are you using to measure salinity? Do not top up with saltwater. Always top up with RO. Adjust after testing your salinity.

If you want, you can bring that skimmer on Thursday too, I can show you what I mean.

HTH :thumbsup: ,

Chris
My tank journal: viewtopic.php?t=235431
astroboy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 9:16 pm

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the advice, was great to finally meet some other reefers!

With the skimmer, it was skimming pretty wet with the adjustor fully open. I took the adjusting piece out to allow that slight bit more water flow to get that water level a bit lower, ill try raising the skimmer a little bit to see if it makes a difference. Hopefully it will be broken in soon haha and hopefully it will settle down a little.

I have a gift certificate to get a peppermint shrimp from Hurstville aquarium, but they haven't had any in recently. Ill have a look on friday to see if they have any in. Also thanks for the advice about NiCd, ill shoot him a message later tonight.

I do have a Kh (API) test kit, so i can keep that right. I have been adding calcium blindly, not knowing what the levels are. I was thinking of a salifert test kit? Are these any good in your experience? Is there anything other that Calcium and Alk that i need to test/add? Not too sure how the SPS are going at the moment tbh.

I've been using a Deep Six Hydrometer to measure salinity... A refractometers are just another thing i need to get :wall: . I've been topping up with de-chlorinated tap water, which I've read won't be helping with my algae problems (thanks for letting me grab some RODI water tomorrow).

Thanks for the help.

Some bad news, the other day my yellow coral goby disappeared. So I'm thinking that it may have died from not eating :( poor guy :(

On a more positive note, the Duncan seems to be looking a bit happier.

The polyps do come out a bit more than that, I've got to check the water parameters and then hopefully it will come out a bit more
Last edited by ConnorMacRae on Wed 02 May, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby astroboy » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:42 pm

No worries mate. Anytime.

Sorry to hear about the goby. Before you add anymore livestock or dose blindly, I suggest you do a test and post or PM me your parameters. I'm sure others here can help too. It should be simple "don't dose if you don't test" rule.

I'd test your water but probably best to test it fresh as I know you'll be coming from uni tomorrow. Any LFS will do that for you as well at a fee of course. Test for Phosphate as well as that will also contribute to the algae build up and hinder some SPS growth. I use a Dupla test kit for Calcium and Phosphate. API for KH. I would ask a test from a fellow reefer or LFS for a second opinion.

When you have these results, we can troubleshoot and get you in the right direction.
astroboy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 11:48 pm

Alk: 11
Nitrate: 0ppm
Ph: 8.2 (either that or 8.4 ...im not very good with slight differences in colour)
Ammonia: 0ppm (tested it once and it said 25ppm, so i re-tested it and got zero)
S.G.: 1.024

I think ill order a few test kits tonight and maybe a refractometer.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Thu 19 Apr, 2012 1:16 am

Bit the bullet,

Just ordered from the reef stop:

-STINGRAY FILTERS SALINITY REFRACTOMETER
-Salifert Calcium test kit
-Salifert Phosphate test kit

This hobby eats money up so quickly :roflmao:
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby Fiddy5 » Sun 22 Apr, 2012 9:08 pm

Hey there,

Ive just joined and a newbie to saltwater. I have a 46l Fluval edge but its the taller version. I have just added some LR and I think Zoa and mushrooms...sorry cant quite remember what the girl at the shop called them. I'm really keen to meet others with Fluval tanks as I have no idea and I know from just reading some posts that my lights arent strong enough and I need a powerhead/wavemaker [thinking of a resun 2000 waver] as its only a 46l tank. Gonna post some pics soon and a hello post to get some help and info. I also want to try and use the height but unsure how and the fluval is a pain in the arse to fill because of the tiny opening which I;m sure you'd know about.

Anyways i really was just gonna say nice tank but got carried away. Any new pics???

I'm also out Penrith way in Sydney.
Fiddy5
RTAW Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Sun 22 Apr, 2012 10:44 pm

Hey Fiddy,

That sounds pretty good, there have been a bunch of people getting the 46L Edges. You're welcome to come have a look at my tank sometime although (I live in Oatley) there isn't much to it at the moment. Have you started a Journal? I like to see how peoples edges turn out. I always hated when id go to move something and then water would spill everywhere :wall: Most people upgrade the lights, they do make kits that I've seen around that you can strap over the existing lights to you don't void warranty. I got my tank second hand so i just cut the old lights out and put a DIY kit in the hood. You will need more flow in the tank than the HOB filter, I'd have a look at a MP10. Having the wire for going into the tank annoys me a bit.

Small Update,

I got rid of the comb on the overflow box and replaced it with gutter guard to i could run the return pump on full. This has been good, stopped my refuge from getting a bit of a build up on the water surface.

I also have some more inhabitants, I have Six Turbo's that i got from NiCd (hopefully will get rid of the algae), I am also looking after my sisters clownfish and anemone until she can afford a more suitable tank for them.

There was a bit of an accident with the anemone, it decided to crawl into the powerhead over night. It is still alive, but not looking too good. Hopefully it will survive, any advice of stuff that would could help it survive?

I have also put some PhosGuard and Carbon in the fitter in my sump. I was also thinking of removing the DSB and just having live rock, some macro and maybe a frag rack in the future.

I am also planning a re-scape of the rock in the DT, just have to think of a scape that will give my space for corals without limiting lighting and flow too much. In a week of two I'm going to get a peppermint shrimp, once the tank has adjusted a bit to having something in it.

Thanks for reading, any advice is welcome!
Last edited by ConnorMacRae on Wed 02 May, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby axela » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 1:59 am

Very nice little tank you have!

I love all the custom DIY mods you've done

Just a question with the acrylic you use, what glue do you use to stick them together?

thank you in advance :)
Starfire Aquatics - Visit our Facebook page
axela
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby Fiddy5 » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Connor

yeah I'm gonna start a journal. I'm so new to saltwater just about everything is over my head. I googled the MP10 and found a vortech propellor pump MP10ES...is this the one you were meaning as it looks like it comes with a control box. Does this control all your lights etc which is cool if it does. The price [$300] kinda scares me tho. I was thinking a Hydor koralia nano 900 but only because of cost $70...i even found a Resun waver 2000 [$25] but is that 2 cheap. So i shld spend the cash n get an MP10???

I hate wires 2 in the tank looks so ugly n messy. I have my Fluval e series heater in there and trying to hide it is a pain but then again my tank is pretty empty.

I was down at saltwater aquariums in emu plains the other day and saw the same anenome thats in ur 3rd pic and really liked it...they kinda look like boobs...not to b rude or anything. R they hard to look after? what is it???
Fiddy5
RTAW Reefer

Postby Lukey » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 10:55 am

Fiddy5 wrote:saw the same anenome thats in ur 3rd pic and really liked it...they kinda look like boobs...not to b rude or anything. R they hard to look after? what is it???

Just a heads up, if it looks like that it's likely bleached and will be even harder for a novice to care for than a normal anemone.

The the OP, you really need to slow down and get your stuff together... May sound harsh, but surprisingly nobody has said it yet...

You tested water and had a positive ammonia reading, sure you retested and it was zero, did you continue testing for the next few days? How's nitrite? Ammonia spikes like that with livestock in the tank are a very big deal, just realise that.

Also, do not dose things you do not test for. Your alk is quite high (well what most consider high on here) and I suspect you calcium may be way out as a result of the dosing as well (and because these two work quite closely).

As for the skimmer, you'll need to raise the water level inside the chamber for it to give better results most likely, so you'll need to attach the adjuster and tune it so the water level is roughly in line with the base of the skimmer cup. Obviously reduce if it's just pouring water into the skimmer cup.

If you don't sort out these issues int he short term you're going to pay even more in the long term (another crash, losing fish/corals, etc).
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 2:55 pm

axel a wrote:What glue do you use to stick them together?

I use weld on cement #16 (Pretty sure thats it). They make a bunch of different glue's for different purposes, but I've just used what i have. If you're going to be building with these chemicals make sure you buy a good quality disposable glove, it is carcinogenic and tends to melt through gloves (it can also get very messy).

Thanks for the compliments of my mods! :) I kind of want to replace the flexy tubing with some hard pipe, just something ill look into later.

The Vortex MP10ES is what i meant (sorry for being a little vague), I don't actually own one but alway thought if i had the money i'd get one. Just to get stuff out of the tank really. I was originally going to get a hydor, and still might in the future, just because you could put it close to the top. Whether you get something like an MP10 or Hydor is just a personal preference, have a look at the features of the MP10 it can so a lot.

Lukey wrote:The the OP, you really need to slow down and get your stuff together... May sound harsh, but surprisingly nobody has said it yet...

Hey Lukey, I know. Ideally I would not have put any of that in my tank, but my sisters tank was having some problems and at the moment this is the best option. She has had the anemone for a few months and hasn't been looking after it very well, so it has bleached (I noticed that earlier). Also I have been taking the set up pretty slowly, it had cycled for about 2 or 3 months before i added anything. It was just the fact that the other tank was having problems meant that moving them into mine would be the better option, not the ideal. I won't be adding anything else to the tank until the tank has had time to adjust.

I also haven't been dosing, i did add some Ph buffer after that dropped a bit. I have ordered a Calcium and Phos test kit, this should arrive today or tomorrow.

I have moved the skimmer higher in the sump, so hopefully it will not skim so wet. It still is in the break in period for it though so I'm not too worried yet.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby Fiddy5 » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi Connor

Just thought id let u know I have my journal up n running...have a look if u have time. I also had a look at the MP10 at my LFS and really loved it but just to expensive 4 me at the moment. I ended up buying a Hydor Centrifugal pump 1000l/h to get me started but have no idea where the best place is to put it for flow?
Fiddy5
RTAW Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 9:07 pm

Small update,

Not much has changed since last time. I did get a refractometer, calcium and phosphate test kit. Everything seems okay, my phos seemed to be a lot lower than i expected when i tested it (around .03? I am using phosguard). I did have a mishap with the calcium testing, but have since done a lot of water changes to fix it up.

I have also re-scaped my tank, I like it more this way than before. Gives more light cover to more of the tank and it also gives me more space for placing corals

My Acro frags seem to be surviving, still browned though. Not sure if they should have started to colour up yet or not. They are still looking better than they were the other week.

The bubble tip anemone that i got from my sisters tank is starting to look up after its encounter with a powerhead. Finally looking like it will actually survive.

Overall everything seems to be going well. My tank still needs to adjust a bit more to having inhabitants in it, as I'm still getting a reading for ammonia. Contemplating if i should spend the money and get a Tunze 9002 for the tank or not, thinking that it would do a much better job than the one I'm using at the moment. I am convinced that I need to get an auto top off to remove swings in salinity that i get. Does anyone know a good, cheap (can't afford osmolator) auto top off? I am also thinking about making a proper stand/bedside for the tank to sit on so i can plumb it in properly, as the flexible tubing seems to be cutting the flow off at the moment.

As always, comments and feedback is encouraged! I'd love some advice on how i could better run my tank!

Connor

P.s. Sorry about the bad photos, all I have is my iPhone
Last edited by ConnorMacRae on Wed 02 May, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby astroboy » Tue 01 May, 2012 10:58 am

Hey Connor

See if you can get a second test/opinion from your LFS.

Roughly how much live rock do you have at the moment? How much and how often are you feeding? Are you getting good flow through your sump?

I'd recommend you putting more live rock. If not in the display, put some more rubble in the sump and ensure you are getting good flow from it. Go to your LFS and grab some rubble from their live rock tank. Ask for a discount if they're just the broken off bits.

If you have detectable ammonia, the system is not coping with the bio load (inhabitant's waste or uneaten food) you have. Ammonia will only breakdown when you have a good population of good bacteria.

Regards

Chris
astroboy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Tue 01 May, 2012 1:49 pm

Ill take a sample of water to the LFS on friday and see what they get as a result.

For live rock, i think i have 3 - 5 kg. I had some base rock that I seeded with 3 kg of live. At the moment I have a DSB (not convinced its doing anything) with some rock in the sump, I think ill remove the sand and just fill it with rubble like you suggested. I tend to feed every 2/3 days, and normally I put about half a cube of mysis or brine shrimp in. I think that I'm over feeding the tank at the moment.

Do you think if i changed to a better skimmer that would help? Im toying with the idea of buying a tunze 9002 as well. Not convinced that my current skimmer is working as well as it should be.
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Postby ConnorMacRae » Wed 02 May, 2012 10:08 pm

Little change, I removed the DSB and replaced it with 1kg of live rock rubble. I've found a few random critters crawling around in the maze of rock in the sump now. Now all thats missing is getting some macro :pirate:

I took a sample of my water to the lfs and got them to test ammonia, they got a reading of 0 and mine got a reading if around .25 . I've decided that I won't be buying any more API test kits!

Current Parameters:
Ca - 650 ppm
Kh - 9dKH
Ph - 8.0
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Ammonia (API) - .25 ppm
Ammonia (LFS test) - 0 ppm
Phosphate - < 0.03 ppm
ConnorMacRae
Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)