• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Bernice and Louis' Pico Reef come back

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Bernice and Louis' Pico Reef come back

Postby dejavu » Tue 20 Mar, 2012 11:11 pm

In 2007, I started my first ever reef tank in a 30cm x 30cm x 30cm cube, which went on to become ReefKeeping magazine's first "Tank of the Month" that was a nano tank. I think the Aussie supporters had much to do this :thumbsup:

However, soon, I needed a bigger tank (as we all do), and Anthony (Axeman) sold me his "frag" tank, which I turned into a shallow reef. At the end of 2009, I shut down my 4x2x1 shallow reef tank because I did not have time to give it the proper care it deserved. It was a sad day, we even went to send off our little yellow goby to his new home. Most of the corals grew from small colonies into dinner plate-sized colonies. The tank had 4x Tunze 6045, 1x MP40 and 2 eductors and the corals were still blocking a lot of the flow!

Three years later, I finished my PhD and got engaged, moved to Melbourne and finally I am getting back to the game! My fiancee loved my old tank, and I am embarrassed to say that her, not I, shed tears over the fishes and corals we sold to fellow MASS reefers.

We decided to set up a new nano tank in our apartment. It had to be small, since we will be getting our own place in the near future, and it had to be portable. We wish to keep some less demanding corals in here to begin with, but we'll see how that works out in the long run.

Tank: Dymax IQ5, which has an internal dimension of 21cm x 21cm x 25 cm (WxDxH). It has a back section which is partitioned into 3 compartments, one as the overflow, one for heater and one for the return pump.

Lighting: It came with a LED clip on light that's more of a keychain LED torch. I am ordering the AquaIlluminations Sol Nano with controller to replace it. This light should allow us to keep anything we want and can be used when we upgrade to a bigger tank.

Flow: The return pump is a 300 L/hr powerhead, which resides in the last compartment (right most when viewed front-on). The return is piped through the back wall and back into the display through a tiny little "loc-line", which has internal diameter of approx 6-7mm. The pump was originally connected to the loc-line through ~20cm of tubing, which severely impeded the pump's power since it is only rated for 60cm of head pressure. I shorten this tube to approx 7 cm, which improved the flow significantly. I wish to put in an EcoTech MP10wes in the near future. The Ecotech I had on my old tank was briliant. I do wish to keep the tank as equipment free as possible.

Livestock: corals, lots of it. 1 fish, most likely a yellow coral goby.

The tank

The three compartments

Float switch installed for auto top off.

Peristaltic pump for the ATO. I am showing this pump because unlike normal peristaltic pumps, which requires a relay between the float switch and the pump (for control), this pump already has build-in circuitry to be externally controlled. In this case, when the external signal's circuit is closed, the pump runs. Therefore, I just had to connect the float switch directly to the pump's signal input. Simple. This pump had 2 channels, but only one will be used.

One of the current inhabitants. The other is a colony of green Acanasthraea that I rescued from the LR bin, and 1 head of Dendrophyllia.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Bernice and Louis' Pico Reef come back

Postby StripestheEel » Tue 20 Mar, 2012 11:47 pm

Louis!!! Good to see you back dude! The photo guru has returned!!
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby bubbleboy » Thu 22 Mar, 2012 12:46 pm

StripestheEel wrote:Louis!!! Good to see you back dude! The photo guru has returned!!

:stupid: Welcome back Louis :clap:
Look forward in seeing your Stunning photos grace the pages of RTAW once again :bow: :bow:
Speak to you soon .
bubbleboy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Thu 22 Mar, 2012 1:13 pm

Matt, sorry to hear that you are selling your tank up. The first time I met you, you were selling up too! Must be a coincidence!

Dave, I think there are heaps of other people who are taking great photos these days. See you Sunday. Forget frags, I am sourcing forklifts and trucks to move your tanks to Melb.

The AquaIllumination Sol Nano + controller has been ordered. George from Reef-Geek has been superbly helpful in helping me get this light into Australia. The LEDs used in the AI Sol outputs one of the highest PAR in the industry, so I am hoping that it will allow me to grow anything I want.

The 3 colours in each LED array can be controlled independently.

I am also going to turn the first section down the back into a refugium with macro algae if I can source some Chaetomorpha. I will then reuse the current LED light for a reverse lighting cycle.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby ryanrid » Thu 22 Mar, 2012 1:35 pm

good to see another old member back that gave inspiration to us all back in the day. :clap:
ryanrid
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Alf D » Thu 22 Mar, 2012 1:52 pm

Welcome home Louis.
That sure is a Pico....you could carry it around in your pocket :)
Alf D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Sin » Thu 22 Mar, 2012 1:59 pm

Ahh the memories

When i first joined i would jump on here just to see if there were any updates to your tank journal, Welcome back mate :thumbsup:

:cheers: Sin
Sin
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby Siiri » Fri 23 Mar, 2012 10:18 am

Yipppeeee !!! .. A new Louis tank to watch :-D .. As Alf said "Welcome Home !!! "
Siiri
Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Fri 23 Mar, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I can't wait for the new light to arrive and to put more flow in. I am in Sydney this weekend for my brother's PhD graduation and thus I will collect all my old reef bits-n-pieces and bring them back to Melb.

Unfortunately, we won't have a fish for a while since we are travelling a fair bit this year, and I don't have anyone to come and feed the tank while I am away.

Siiri, how are your tanks?
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Siiri » Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:23 am

dejavu wrote:Siiri, how are your tanks?

Short version .. Health issues -> All tanks shut down -> Sold House -> Moved to country -> Bought House -> Running Reef tank in a Fluval Edge until Reno's done .. :nut:
Siiri
Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Fri 23 Mar, 2012 12:33 pm

Siiri wrote:
dejavu wrote:Siiri, how are your tanks?

Short version .. Health issues -> All tanks shut down -> Sold House -> Moved to country -> Bought House -> Running Reef tank in a Fluval Edge until Reno's done .. :nut:

Sirri, hope you are all better now. How's your husband? Say hello for me. How's the view out in the country? Probably a nice change eh? I have moved down to Melb, for work not to retire :bored:
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Namn8r » Fri 23 Mar, 2012 12:43 pm

Bout time mate!! Welcome back and look forward to your build!
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Siiri » Fri 23 Mar, 2012 1:56 pm

dejavu wrote:Sirri, hope you are all better now. How's your husband? Say hello for me. How's the view out in the country? Probably a nice change eh? I have moved down to Melb, for work not to retire :bored:

Hubby is fine .. just working too hard back in Sydney .. he can't wait to retire but that's a ways off yet .. still into photography thou .. how about you ???

We have a fabulous view over a coastal headland that is covered with a grassy field with cows and horses on it .. nice change :nod:

Anyway .. better stop filling your tank journal with chit chat :roflmao:
Siiri
Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 10:14 pm

Let's turn this journal into a photo journal like the last two times :nut:

Thanks to Dave for all the wonderful frags! Please excuse the HOB filter on the side, this is for increased flow before I upgrade to a proper wavemaker.

I did the first parameter test yesterday and came up with 30 mg/L of nitrate :o I thought this might be due to the heavy feeding to help both the rescued Acan and Dendrophyllia recover, but it still seemed a bit ridiculous. Today, I did a water change and tested my fresh NSW, guess what? The fresh NSW's NO3 reading was 30 mg/L. This water came from Upmarket aquarium, I will be going to Reeflection to refill my NSW stock. This lot is going down the drain.

AquaIllumination Sol Nano pendent. The light is angled towards the back to give the Pocillopora and Seriatopora more light.

Light controller. 14 timers, ramping modes, colour adjustment, intensity adjustment, lunar cycle simulation, lightning stimulation, etc

Back of the unit showing the clamp and the cable guides

The two clusters of 5 LEDs each. 1 white, 2 blue and 2 royal blue. Each colour is individually controllable.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby locuus » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:23 pm

Wow! :-x
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby bubbleboy » Thu 29 Mar, 2012 1:08 pm

WOW .. you have done those coral justice with those photos Louis :bow:
Now all you need is a bigger tank so I can send you more frags …. :pirate:
bubbleboy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Thu 29 Mar, 2012 1:20 pm

bubbleboy wrote:WOW .. you have done those coral justice with those photos Louis :bow:
Now all you need is a bigger tank so I can send you more frags …. :pirate:

Dave, not yet. My aquarium photography skills are a bit rusty and I was too lazy to get the tripod of the car last night. I will post more later.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dejavu » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:01 pm

Sorry, photos of the same corals again! Next time, the tank's placement needs to take ease of photography into account!

dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dejavu » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:06 pm

On a different note, the peristaltic pump died. So much for an expensive "scientific/industry-grade" pump. To replace the current system, I purchased Guppy's ATO relay system, but I will make some modification to it. I will add my existing float switch to it as the over-fill cut off. The decision to buy this rather than DIY own is that the parts cost is already very similar to this product. After my move to Melb, I longer have my garage workshop, so it's a pain to DIY anything serious. I will put back my trusty Williamson peristaltic pump again.

My original plan to have no SPS in this tank lasted about 2 days. When the Seriatopora and Pocillopora start to grow, I will use 2 part dosing to supplement Alk and Ca demand.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NiCd » Sat 31 Mar, 2012 7:35 am

Wow the legends back! your nano inspired me alot, i dont think i would have tackled this style of reefing if it wasnt for you
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Chow » Sat 31 Mar, 2012 2:48 pm

Welcome back Louise! It's good to see you back in the game. I was out for a few years as well and came back with a little nano too. Currently running a BoostLED Par30 but really like the look of the AquaIllumination Sol Nano pendent. Can I ask where you ended up buying is from?
Chow
Veteran Reefer

Postby n0rk » Sat 31 Mar, 2012 4:14 pm

I can't wait to see what you do with this tank, seriously. Both your nano and your 4' are amongst the best tanks that Australia has mustered, I'm sure this will be no exception to the trend.
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk

Postby parrdog » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 6:04 pm

So unreal to have one of the masters back in the fold!

Welcome back Louis :).

Jamie.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby picasso » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 4:58 pm

great to see,fantastic photography,and beautiful tank
picasso

Postby dejavu » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:12 pm

Chow wrote:Welcome back Louise! It's good to see you back in the game. I was out for a few years as well and came back with a little nano too. Currently running a BoostLED Par30 but really like the look of the AquaIllumination Sol Nano pendent. Can I ask where you ended up buying is from?

Chow,
I got my AI Sol Nano from Reef-Geek. George, has been superb in his customer service.

They are great little units. Such a nice change from my AquaMedic 150w MH which transferred so much heat to my old nano tank.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blags » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:16 pm

The man is back!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Happy Reefing
Proud MASQ Member!!

3500Lt New Tank Journal
Old Tank Journal
blags

Postby damer » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 6:22 pm

:stupid:

good to see some great photos again.

:cheers:

Damien

P.S.- you should have access to MASOV soon.
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Postby dejavu » Sun 08 Apr, 2012 10:00 pm

Damien, Thanks heaps for sorting that out for me.

Keeping up with the Ca and Alk demand on this tank using CaCl2 and NaCO3 is full on. The demand with just 3 SPS frags and 1 colony of Acan is already 20 ml of each part per 24 hours. I am going to avoid using a calcium reactor because it would have a large impact on the pH level of the tank.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dejavu » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 12:01 am

Just a few random photos.

This green Acan colony was rescued from the live rock bin. It look very sorry at the beginning (left, 14-March-12) and today (right, 9-April-12)

Pocillopora under moon light.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jordan » Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:28 am

Great stuff Louis. Your tank and Anthony (Axeman) were the go to tanks when I started this hobby and wanted to see some eye candy. Your photo's have been sadly missed from the MASA forums! Welcome back. Can't wait to see more in the future.
Current tank Spec:Current 5x2x2 tank here
Old Tank Spec: Old 4ft tank here
Tank Spec (shut down): 4x3x2 New tank here
jordan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)