• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

★Freak's 18 Inch Cube (More SPS)★

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

★Freak's 18 Inch Cube (More SPS)★

Postby Marine freak » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 1:27 am

Introduction:

Hello again all,
i have been considering downgrading the size of my tank over the past year and fortunately i came across a tank for sale on the classifieds in top quality, but now that i look at it again after buying it, its alot smaller than i first imagined lol, but with the size comes the ability for me to upgrade alot of things i have always meant to such as powerheads, lighting and automation . :nod:

Long story short this has unwillingly caused my re-introduction into the Nano world :thumbsup:

System Objectives: To have a healthy, thriving and aesthetically pleasing peice of the ocean in my home

System Type: Mixed Reef

Strike up Date:

Display Tank: Rimless/braceless, starphire with beveled edges 18" x 18" x 18" - AKA 18" cube :poke:

Display Lighting: 144W 4G Cree LED with controller :o

Stand: Basic wooden ATM, being pimped this week with some paint and S/S Handles :roflmao:

Sump: 15" cube with 2 sections, one for skimmer and one for FBF and return pump.

Support systems:

System Water: Seacheam Reef or Ocean pure marine salt with of course 0 TDS RO/DI :spit:

Display Water circulation: 1 x Ecotech MP10, maybe another in the future see how i go with one for now :-x

Return Pump: Eheim compact 3000+

Skimmer: BM Nac 3.5, was originally thinking of no Skimmer due to space restraints, but the nac 3.5 fits perfect.

Fluidised bed filter: Skimz Monzter FM100 running purigen or GAC

Evaporation Top Up: Manual

Calcium Addition: Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium

Alkalinity Addition: Seachem Reef Carbonate

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: 0.03 < presuming they come from the rock i added.
Alkalinity: 8.5 Dkh
Calcium: 440ppm
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.026
Magnesium: Untested, should be around 1350

Current Full Tank Shot, 3rd week

Lights off
Last edited by Marine freak on Sat 24 Mar, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Freak's 90L Upgraded Downgrade

Postby Marine freak » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 8:19 pm

Raw Stand, which is now gloss black.

Size comparison, i gotta fit it all in there somehow, my tanks lights have just reduced to 2 bulbs for the night just before i took the pic :konk:

Sump

Tank on stand

And sump again :nut:
Last edited by Marine freak on Mon 05 Mar, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 8:46 pm

And as usual sorry for my terrible photos.

Received my 144W 4G Cree light fitting today and programed in my lighting schedule, can control blue and white intensity to adjust every hour, on and off time etc etc

I programmed it like this incase anyone may be interested lol :tongue:

7 am Blue LED's on at @ 20% intensity
8 am White LED's on at 20% intensity and blue increased to 40%
9am White LED's at 40% and blue increased to 70%
10 am White LED's at 60% and blue increased to 100%
11am White leds at 80% and blues at 100%
12am Same as above
1pm Same as above
2pm Same as above
3pm White LED's at 70% and blue LED's at to 90%
4pm White LED's at to 50% and blue LED's at 70%
5pm White LED's at 20% and blues LED's at 50%
6pm White LED's off and blue LED's at 20%
7pm Blue LED's off

:cheers:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 8:57 pm

I promise to buy myself a DSLR camera soon so i can actually do my tank some justice.

Skimmer should arrive from guppys tommorow, MP10 and Skimz monster FBF should hopefully be here by Friday, until then i will be using my old 5000LPH koralia copy.

I cant get a hold of any substrate so considering reusing my current substrate from my other tank unless something pops up tommorow as i need to get it underway as my old tank is sold and they want it in a hurry as there tank is leaking everywhere :o

Also the skimmer on my current tank is sold and Delamar is also in a hurry for it so ill disconnect it and give it a good clean tommorow and send it away. :konk:

Also found a really nice clam and plating monti online today but i decided i should wait until the transfer lol, hopefully its still there next week, my new branching purple and green hammer is doing great in my current tank and my green with purple tip BTA has found its happy place, pity im about to rock its world and move it again tommorow or the next day :(

Thanks again to Andrew from Coral crazy for the great peices. :thumbsup:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 9:04 pm

Skimmer arrived today, fit perfectly and is running in now, see how it goes when theres something to skim, from all the reviews it seems to be a great nano skimmer and if it fails ill go for the Tunze doc 9002 but from my research this outperforms it.

Also fixed my overflow problems today and will get some perspex cut this week to make a weir, can read about my issues with the link below if it interests you at all, i just need to pretty up the return plumbing. :laugh:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=237988&p=1000410#p1000410

All my Rock, corals, inverts and fish are in and so far seem fine just worried about the LED lighting roasting my corals as its massively bright, ive got intensity set at 60% of what i will have it running at and ill ramp it up 10% every week and see how that goes.

Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Thu 08 Mar, 2012 8:06 pm

A few of my typical terrible photos from the second day of setup, aquascaping will be changing a little in the back center to open up more space, the awfull koralia copy powerhead is gone as soon as i receive my MP10 from Age of aquariums and ill be making a dark blue perspex weir and have a matching background to hide all the plumbing.

I have also left all the top shelves of aqua scaping for SPS, ill give it a few weeks until things setlle and i tweak what i need to and ill get some frags happening, if anyone has some they would like to part with let me know wether its frags or medium size peices.

Skimmer is still breaking in and being nothing to skim really for the first few weks im not imagining anything will happen down there for ahwile, as soon as it does ill let you know what i think of it.

And here are the awfull photos, let me know what colour intensity and ratio looks best for photos so i can note it for next time.

Tank with Blue set at 50% intensity and white 30% intensity

Tank 50% white and blue

Tank with 50% white 30% blue

Coral banded shrimp

Pink Hammer

Green hammer

Toxic Green and purple branching hammer

My Green BTA

Last edited by Marine freak on Mon 12 Mar, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Thu 08 Mar, 2012 8:13 pm

Corals are looking a little happier today with the lower intensity set on the LEDS, hopefully the next few days i can see some full polyp extension.

Fish in the tank are a coral beauty which is looking for a new home if anyone wants him he is free to a good home, i have had him for nearly 2 years and he is a saint, beside him there is my Flamehawk, Royal dottyback, CBS, Strombus and Clownfish along with 1 little hermit, 2 whelks, 1-2 nassarius and ceriths and about 6 turbos, as far as i am concerened the coral beauty doesnt belong in a tank that size and i know many would disagree/agree but i would like a pair of coral gobies or a midas blenny to replace him and then im fully stocked.
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 7:31 pm

Day 3 is looking good so far, params are pretty much where i want them as long as phos doesnt get much higher.

Semi sorted out my micro bubble problem for now and i am eagerly awaiting my MP10 from age of aquariums that i thought i would of had yesterday, that damn el cheapo powerhead is driving me insane with its hugeness :( also started making some s/steel 316 25mm tube brackets at work this morning to hang my lights a little higher off the tank as it is pretty much sitting on the rim ATM.

Absolutely love my 4G Cree LED fitting and the general change to LED, its so versatile and easy to program,its looks so much better and my corals "POP" unlike i have ever seen before. :-x

May have a photographer coming over next weekend to take some decent photos hopefully, he has never shot aquariums before so ill see how he goes, but hey, he cant possibly be any worse than me :wall:

Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Freak's 18" Cubalicious adventure begins (New Video)

Postby Marine freak » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 4:24 pm

Well i was tweaking the tank setup today and noticed something i am very happy about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zihl0S8xQI

I just happned to be watching when he found it, he nearly had a clownfish orgasm. Sorry again for the poor colour, these LEDS are doing my head in for pictures.

And a few more photos

Frogspawn

My strombus, his name is Bob

And my super dooper fluro green torch, still havent got much polyp extension but its getting better by the day.

And new FTS

I think my photos are slowly improving :roflmao:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: ★Freak's 18 Inch Cube (New Video+FTS)★

Postby Marine freak » Tue 13 Mar, 2012 8:15 pm

Just ordered 3 x small acro colonies from CoralCrazy, im so excited, they will be here thursday.
And a Yellow birdsnest with red polyps and a fluro pink hammer with green tips from oceanarium.

Ive re-arranged the rock again so i have more shelves up top for the SPS and moved all my LPS to the corner with the hammers and made it into my Flubber garden, the scolly and center rear frogspawn and all my morph frags and GSP have been sold to make some room.

Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: ★Freak's 18 Inch Cube (New Video+FTS)★

Postby Chow » Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:48 pm

Looking good mate. Post some pics of the new pieces when they come, especially the yellow birdsnest with red polyps!
Chow
Veteran Reefer

Re: ★Freak's 18 Inch Cube (First SPS in with pics)★

Postby Marine freak » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 6:46 pm

Received my bargain bin Acro today, and am very happy with my $10 peices lol, here some pics, all have polyp extension although they are certainly a little brown in spots, hopefully they will colour right up :thumbsup:

Also scored 3 little acro crabs, can anyone tell me if there is a bad side to having these guys host in your SPS?

Stumpy acro?, anyone have a name for this lol?

New torch and some of my LPS garden

Another terrible FTS

Random acro

Same random acro

And my favourtie of all the peices this blue acro, terrible pic doesnt show the colour well but its the rear one in the FTS its quite strikingly blue.

Receive my oceanarium corals on tuesday so ill add some more pics then and hopefully some more pics of those acros all coloured up :thumbsup:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Thu 15 Mar, 2012 6:52 pm

If these show some improvement in colour and growth over the next few weeks ill be very happy and ill start filling my tank up :thumbsup:

Here i come dosing pumps, also can anyone give me the run down on using reefsafes amino acids?
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 1:52 pm

Coral beauty was given away today, completely destroyed my tank to get him out :grump:

So as a warning to everyone, never place a fish in your tank that you have plans on removing in the near future.

So the rest of my day will be trying to rescape my tank how it was.

:wall:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby vman » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 3:00 pm

Marine freak wrote:Coral beauty was given away today, completely destroyed my tank to get him out :grump:

So as a warning to everyone, never place a fish in your tank that you have plans on removing in the near future.

So the rest of my day will be trying to rescape my tank how it was.

:wall:

um..........and it took you this long to figure that out??? :wall:
"better to have tried and failed than to have never tried and never known''
CHECK IT OUT GUYS AND LEAVE A COMMENT!! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oAQM-4e ... re=related
vman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 3:16 pm

Read the green text in your SIG lol.
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby vman » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 4:27 pm

heh heh yeah i hear yah.

good luck with the re scape.

:pirate:
"better to have tried and failed than to have never tried and never known''
CHECK IT OUT GUYS AND LEAVE A COMMENT!! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oAQM-4e ... re=related
vman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Wed 21 Mar, 2012 12:14 am

Received my order from oceanarium today, absolutely lovely yellow/red/green birdsnest with polyps extending awesomely within an hour of the tank and looking unreal and also a toxic green tipped fluro pink hammer, i thought my purple and green hammer was toxic but this makes it look dull.

And tommorow or the next day receive my Coral crazy order with another 3 peices of acro.

Will get some photos up tommorow.

Considering the tank fully stocked after this arrives and will sit back and watch the params,growth and colour in my SPS and tweak from there and see if i can get some awesome growth and colour happening eventually.

Very happy with my new setup and the ease of maintaining, especially the fact that it was relatively easy to fill the entire tank with some nice peices and wont have to hopefully stick my hands in the tank again for quite sometime, also my BM nac 3 is showing some signs that it may be usefull after waking this morning to finding a half filled cup, after work today come home to another 1/4 filled cup, although very wet its still a nice dark colour and can finally stop swearing at it.

Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Lukey » Wed 21 Mar, 2012 10:35 am

Marine freak wrote:and wont have to hopefully stick my hands in the tank again for quite sometime

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it all the tinkering we enjoy more than actually sitting back and watching the tank grow? You'll just HAVE to do/buy something soon enough, mark my words :roflmao: :roflmao:

Tank looks great mate, keep it up, oh and get us some pics of those new pieces! :thumbsup:
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:50 pm

Hey Lukey, your spot on it is the tinkering we enjoy but i cant help but feel everytime im in there playing around i am doing more harm than good lol :roflmao:

Dont think after tommorows order is received i could possibly fit anything else in there especially if anything decides to grow, already planning the new tank for when i move and have already started to collect some goodies for it, so anything i buy from now on will hopefully be equipment for the new tank, or removing some of my non fave peices and replacing them with something fantastic.

Thanks for the comments mate, dont see you around here often anymore :thumbsup:

Also gave away my coral beauty the other day to "Oldsalty" from MASQ, he is a top guy and he drove a long way to come get it, very much appreciated that he is going to a bigger home :cheers:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: ★Freak's 18 Inch Cube (More SPS)★

Postby Marine freak » Sat 24 Mar, 2012 8:56 pm

New FTS.

Changing to NSW this week and will be doing 2 x 25% weekly water changes to try and get some perfect params for my new SPS and to kickstart there colour and growth, they were all browned out when bought pretty much and already slightly regaining a little colour.

Lights off

Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby NiCd » Sun 25 Mar, 2012 8:23 am

What an awesome set up you have going!

You will need to get some kinda of automatic dosing going, I did a similar sized sps cube and once it started growing I'd loose 5dkh in alk a day and even dosing morning and night the swing would affect the colors.
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sun 25 Mar, 2012 2:21 pm

NiCd wrote:What an awesome set up you have going!

You will need to get some kinda of automatic dosing going, I did a similar sized sps cube and once it started growing I'd loose 5dkh in alk a day and even dosing morning and night the swing would affect the colors.

Cheers NiCd, Dosing pumps should hopefully be rigged up in the next few weeks, for now i am dosing manually daily i know its not the greatest idea but its all i can do for now. :crossfingers:

Also still need to get an MP10 in there to mix the flow up a bit, thanks for the comments mate if i can get anywhere close to your SPS cube i would be exstatic. :thumbsup:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby NiCd » Sun 25 Mar, 2012 2:54 pm

It all seems to be about stability, which isn't a word that seems to fit well with nanos. Dosing pump will solve most of youre problems. If your doing 25% water changes you need to temperature match the water and major parameters before hand other wise it seems to brown them out as well.

Btw I do miss my sps nano and seeing set ups like this makes me think about going back to it when the new tank is up and running
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sun 25 Mar, 2012 8:00 pm

NiCd wrote:It all seems to be about stability, which isn't a word that seems to fit well with nanos. Dosing pump will solve most of youre problems. If your doing 25% water changes you need to temperature match the water and major parameters before hand other wise it seems to brown them out as well.

Btw I do miss my sps nano and seeing set ups like this makes me think about going back to it when the new tank is up and running

If i had the ability (and a license atm) i would just have 2 x 1000L IBC's and just pump an entire one through a week, 1000% water change :roflmao:

I havent been able to find a decent source of NSW yet hopefully tommorow i will have some better luck, thanks for your words of wisdom NiCd but unfortunately atm budget and time is a bit of a constraint and until i have a few more $ to spend on an MP10 and dosing pumps i am not holding any great hopes, if they dont bleach/RTN ill be more than happy for now without the amazing colour and growth :thumbsup:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sun 25 Mar, 2012 8:01 pm

Only thing i have left to add is a nice Monti for the ledge the flame hawk is sitting on, going to frag up the toxic green and purple branching hammer tommrow aswell as it has 4 heads and is a touch to big fully expanded for my little tank.

Also a little worried about my BTA growing towards my torch :konk:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby afhtan » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 2:06 am

wow. great rockwork :thumbsup:

Loving the levels and shelves. I might add more rock to my display so I can stock more coral.
afhtan
Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 10:05 am

afhtan wrote:wow. great rockwork :thumbsup:

Loving the levels and shelves. I might add more rock to my display so I can stock more coral.

Cheers Afhtan.

Unfortunately my calcium overdose and probally to rapid response to reducing has caused any colour gain in my SPS i have got to go back to looking how they were when i bought them.

:konk:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Thu 19 Apr, 2012 12:59 am

Unfortunately i have had a bit of bad luck and so has my tank.

I have been in hospital for over a week due to an unfortunate event at work with a compressed co2 tank and a valve exploding in my face.

All is good and i am now fine but my tank is a bit worse for wear, but the upside is work payed for everything including my time of work as they should, but also some compensation so i have just bought a new PSI 4 stage RODI, an MP10, new eheim return pump, water mixing/waterchange pump, new refractometer, and some new test kits and loads of other goodies including a few buckets of salt etc.

So im back with a vengance haha, sorry for all the unaswered PM's etc im going through them now. :thumbsup:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Fri 20 Apr, 2012 12:15 am

Recived box no.1 of goodies today, oh my god why have i never had a vortech, the stuff it keeps suspended is unreal, using it on nutrient export turned nearly all the way up and i am so amazed at what it can do.

Thanks to Age of aquariums for the super quick delivery of everything.
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)