• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Eclip LED powered 70L Nano-All Dead

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Eclip LED powered 70L Nano-All Dead

Postby Eclip » Tue 01 Nov, 2011 1:24 pm

Introduction:
Having just shut down my 4foot tank for something more managable while working away

System Objectives: breeding tank for coral gobies and assessors with a few coals to pretty it up later.

System Type: FOWLR

Strike up Date: 14th October 2011

Display Tank: 70L AquaOne 510 nano

Display Lighting: 36w dimmable DIY led 5cw, 4rb, 3nw Cree XTE.

Stand:old cupboard for the time being

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: JVP 3,000 LPH with nylon bearing modification done to it to make it silent. Soon upgrade to tunze 6025.

Skimmer: AquaC remora. Doesn't skim well and is very loud.

Evaporation Top Up:Will be manual to begin with with the addition of a ATO shortly after as i know it will become tedious.

Heaters[b] Ehiem Jager heater

[b]Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: no corals but will keep in check with frequent WC

Alkilinity Addition: test and add as required

Other Chemical Maintenance:

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates: 6ppm
Phosphates: unknown
Alkalinity: 9.5
Calcium: 500
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.024
Magnesium: unknown

Strike up after moving rock sand and then fish after checking their was no cycle.
Still a little cloudy.
Last edited by Eclip on Wed 29 May, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
MASAOG COMMITTEE MEMBER 2012
Eclip's Sumpless CLOSED DOWN
---------------------------------
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclips downsize to nano

Postby Darr1n » Tue 01 Nov, 2011 3:50 pm

Nice rockscape :).

For skimmers, there have been a few neat nano skimmers around in the US for a while, not sure if any have made there way here though. They are always showing them in [url]ReefBuilders.com[/url].
Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Water cleared residents happy

Postby Eclip » Mon 07 Nov, 2011 6:41 pm

yeah i have been looking at some of the nice Nano skimmers but i enjoy the complete silence that skimmer less brings me.
New picture today of the water cleared and fish all happy
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclip 70L Nano- Residents Settled In

Postby Thommo01 » Mon 07 Nov, 2011 9:17 pm

Very nice Nick.

What have you got in there at the moment?
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 9:34 am

Just a pair of captive bread clarkii clowns that were beginning to spawn in my other tank so see how we go.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 11:14 am

So after much neglect i finally got myself another nitrate test kit as the other had expired and got tossed. I noticed a few snails die a week ago but it never got any worse i just assumed that the new tank was not big enough to sustain that man snails. Turns out after testing my nitrates are up around 60. I feed alot with no skimmer. I found a little AquaC Remora nano in the classified and hooked it on today and have some water getting ready for when i get home after work. It really is true about captive bred clowns that theya re tough as nails.

Skimmer is a little loud i have done some of the noise mods and seams to be alot better ill get a sponge from work and use that instead of the paper towel. But seams to be making alot of nice fine bubbles now to let it break in.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 9:33 pm

How do you find the one 3000LPH powerhead?

Enough/not to much flow?

I am in the process of downgrading from a 4 ft to a 90L Nano myself for the same reasons as you, also hoping for no mini cycle as i pretty much have to transfer everything immeadiately over.

:cheers:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 1:26 am

The single powerhead is sufficient and blows my sand around everywhere. Need to adjust the angle a little to break up the surface a little more. But otherwise it is sufficient. i dont have any coral but the clowns love to play in the stream right near the powerhead.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Darr1n » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 6:10 pm

So Nick, any updates? (coz you know I am hopeless with updates! and I still haven't got the shed finished yet so your old tank is still sitting in my lounge room :spit: )

Still loving the piece and quite of the new tank?
Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Eclip » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 6:46 pm

Well it was quiet till i added a skimmer again to try to clean up some food particles. Now not so quiet!! Need to do some water changes and am thinking of adding some DIY LEDs to the hood and tear the old T8's out as one ballest blew so down to 1 old tube. Finding time is always another issue :P Other then that the nitrate was up around 20ish so some water changes would be good. Mite start to show the nano some love and get some corals growing etc :P all to come after the misses gets a new car :P
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Eclip 70L Nano - Ordered some lighting Goodies

Postby Eclip » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 7:49 pm

A fair while between updates..... Tank has been going fine with 20% water changes and undetectable levels so its time to get some corals going again. Have ordered some LED bits and pieces to replace the dead ballast and the one that is on its way out that comes with the stock unit t8's :S. There is a fair amount of rust in the light cavity on the wire and drivers so im surprised it is still working tbh.

Operation gut and replace so i can grow some coral

Ordered 12 LEDs for my little tank from cutter all cree R5 XTE's( 4 6500k 4 5000k and 4 RB) to start with should give me a nice balance of colours. I have also ordered some Meanwell LDD 1000H drives which are dimmable with PWM and should keep the heat to a minimum and the efficiency up. Got a nice 3.2A 16V laptop power supply to run it all and looking and an audrino controller to control it later on.

Going to place each colour on its own driver so it can be easily dimmed to fine tine the colour and power.

Ill do a big photo update with some step by steps so i can keep track and others can check on my progress.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclip 70L Nano XTE LEDs built :)

Postby Eclip » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 12:10 am

So I managed to get some time after work to have a play with my new LED's and drivers.

Went with 5 CW 4 RB and 3 NW (sourced from cutter) to give me a nice even balance to the colour. I dont like it too blue.
Went with some meanwell LDD 1000 drivers http://www.meanwell.com/search/LDD-H/LDD-H-spec.pdf
Slightly under driving the LEDS at 1A instead of their maximum of 1.5A so should keep temps in check. These drivers are dimmable so when i start to play with my auduino shortly I should be able to dim to my hearts content. I couldnt manage to find any thermal epoxy so i am giving the thermal adhesive from jaycar a go
Heatsink is also from jaycar its a 0.7°/W high efficiency fan type heatsink so i am assuming i will need a fan to keep it running efficiently
Seams to be doing well and gives a nice stable temp so far sitting at 46°C without a fan witht eh fins facing the table.

Each colour is hooked to its own driver so independently dimmable. I got another driver in
case i want to add other colors or upgrade later.
I am currently temperature testing the light and seams to be very stable sitting at 46°C with i might have to rig up a fan for when it goes into the hood. Should not be too bad as one of my strings is a 9.45V string (neutral white) so a 12V computer fan will work well.

Here are some pictures
The LEDs from cutters tinned to make soldering easier

Heatsink drilled and ready for LEDs

All ready to go in the hood.

I chose to run the wires along the back of the unit so as to keep the face relatively clean looking as i hate the spaghetti look on the front

This should be plenty enough light to keep any corals in the future and to replace the aging rusted out T8 unit that is in there. Colour has a little purple tint to it with just a good amount of blue i think so far. Although dimming will be able to finly tune it. Probably a little overkill at 36W for 70L but easily upgradable for when i upgrade my tank in the near future.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclip DIY CREE XTE LED powered 70L Nano

Postby Eclip » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 9:29 pm

Finally finished fitting it into the hood. All fit nicely which is good.
Final product just checking the temperature with the heat sink inside the hood.

compared with old T8's there is alot more shimmer and appears to be alot whiter but not over the top white. The Coraline is more pronounced and cant wait for my auduino to arrive so i can set up the dimming

Old T8 phot for comparison
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Darr1n » Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:10 pm

Nice work Nick!
Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Eclip » Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:31 pm

Cheers just got to put a fan in and cut some holes and mesh them up to give it better air flow and ill be all good.

going try my hand at some coals again.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Darr1n » Thu 11 Oct, 2012 3:10 pm

Yeah, need some corals in there :devil: .
Darr1n
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Eclip » Mon 15 Oct, 2012 8:32 pm

Got home today form work and couldn't find my male clown, thought he mite have jumped and the dog ate him.
Found him cowering in the corner all beaten up with some scales missing and fins torn up.

The new light must have brought out some breeding behavior in the female.

I have made him a make shift home to stop her beating him up for a bit until i can make a decent one.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby jayellul » Mon 15 Oct, 2012 8:34 pm

Awww poor fella, mustn't like it rough :-P

cool tank I like thee scape
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Eclip » Mon 15 Oct, 2012 10:32 pm

Managed to take some photos under the different leds due to the automatic white balence in my camera some of them exposed very similar.

Just royal blue

Neurtral White & RB

Cool white and RB

CW+NW+RB

The NW/RB combo looks a little more blue then then the CW/RB combo and has a little more CRI colours look more true.

All 3 give a very white appearance with the RB being washed out a little for that very 8-10k look which is what i prefer.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Mon 15 Oct, 2012 10:34 pm

Indeed he must not like it rough she has been a bit of a bully. When i couldnt initially find him i thort it mite be time to get rid of her and fill it with SPS and coral gobies. Always wanted an army of them mixed with some assessors. if they are close to breeding i mite stick with them for the challenge of it.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby jayellul » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 8:06 am

Cool. I think mine are breeding now, just behind the clockwork where I can't see! Always hanging out back there. The other night we spotted what was likely a surviving fry. Wasn't there in the morning though lol.
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Eclip LED powered 70L Nano now living again

Postby Eclip » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 9:55 pm

Damn clowns are a funny fish. So my male has fully recovered from his shredded fins. I have been doing alot of water changes and cleaning and the tank is looking much better for it. A fellow MASAOG member is in the process of shutting down his tank so i managed to acquire some nice frags and a nice clam.

I cleaned off some of the snails from the coral, noticed i added some bristle worms, some mysis and some other pods which is always nice that came in some of the bags :). Did a quick water change, let it come up to temp then acclimated the coral
Enough text heres some pictures
Finally got a new shrould for my tunze 6025 as the dog ate the front end of the other one... Naughty dog :)

The clam attached its foot to a frag plug so easy to keep it happy in the sand.

All in

10 minutes later the clam was already coming out and starting to show some nice colour.
and the corals are already starting to show some polyp extension.

I have some small nitrates 6-10ppm but am doing some more water changes to bring it down. 10% every couple of days should help a lot.
Its good to have some bristle worms back in the tank and will help keep everything alot cleaner i hope. Now time to let it all settle in and for all the sand to stop flying around.

Have been looking at a new skimmer looking at either a tunze 9002 or 9004 but still up in the air as to when i can try to get an upgrade past the minister of financers.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby priscacara » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 9:26 am

Good to see it all coming together, love the clam, too scared to put one in mine though everything is just too new in my tanks still so love seeing pics of them.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Eclip » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:33 am

priscacara wrote:Good to see it all coming together, love the clam, too scared to put one in mine though everything is just too new in my tanks still so love seeing pics of them.

Yeah first clam here and knocked a few snails off it. Has a big bristle living under the frag tile but hopefully he will move out now its in the tank and not irritate the clam.

Starting with just the rb and nw to acclimate the new coral and not stress them too much. At least I can double the amount of light if I need. Clam came from an inwatter system
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclip LED powered 70L Nano-All Dead

Postby Eclip » Wed 29 May, 2013 5:36 pm

Having been away in Vietnam for 2 weeks I came home to a completely dead tank. Sure I mite not have had much but I have had them for a long time.

I had set the tank up prior to leaving with a big ro water drum for the ato and should have only needed filling once.

Parents in law looked after it when we went to Europe for 5 weeks the year before I I was safe leaving it with them. This is were it all goes bad.

Apparently 3 days after we left they crashed our car causing close to 3grands worth of damage. Ok no biggie insurance job and higher premiums. Due to this incident they
Completely forgot any of the written instructions I left them and left my doors to the house unlocked when they returned the car. Thankfully very little crime where I live.

Upon arriving home I could smell something funny. Looked at the tank and it was half full of water heater mostly out of water well half. Ato drum empty and a cooked tank. Water was sitting at 41c...... :(

Poor little fishies. Now weather to clean it all out and start again. Try to maybe upgrade now or just call it a day all together..... gonna be a hard decision.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby jayellul » Wed 29 May, 2013 6:50 pm

Sad to hear! thats a terrible story :-(
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby texas » Thu 30 May, 2013 12:39 am

Sorry to hear mate :(
texas
Curious Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Thu 30 May, 2013 9:30 pm

Sorry to hear Nick. :(

Keep going mate. Stay strong.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby priscacara » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 1:49 pm

That really sucks, sorry to hear it !
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Eclip » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 1:56 pm

I did always want some different fish but could never give them away since they were happy and laying eggs occasionally.

Guess I have some time now to do some good modifications and improve the system.

Maybe get that pack of clown gobies I always wanted. Or to convince the wife for a nice 3x3 for the corner.
Last edited by Eclip on Thu 06 Jun, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)