• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Anthony's 28L Nano Anemone Tank

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Anthony's 28L Nano Anemone Tank

Postby alowelle » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 9:11 am

After 5 years of reefing, I have decided to finally write a blog about my journey. I just want to share the lessons I have learned over the years to help out prospective hobbyists in the same boat as me looking for information.

BACKGROUND

I wanted to have a reef tank with just clownfish in their anemones. I had a very limited space and a much more limited budget. I spent countless hours of research (reading blogs and watching youtube videos) to work around my limitations only to find out that the general consensus is "you need a large mature tank and good lighting to have an anemone". I was just too stubborn and determined and took the plunge. It was an up and down journey as with many other reefers, mostly to the demise of other corals and fish to which I stubbornly tried to squeeze them in this small system. The clownfish and BTAs thrived while stinging/killing other corals and eating other fish along the way. The BTAs are now overgrown to the point where I am looking forward to an upgrade very soon.

Now, I have a 28L tank with 2 BTAs and a pair of clownfish who have been there for 4+ yrs and counting on a set-up that costs roughly 500AUD.

For those looking for information like I was 5 yrs ago, doing google searches like "can I keep anemones in a nano", "what is the minimum tank size for an anemone"- this one is for you.
Yes it is possible.

I will be posting every now and then when I have the time about my journey. Here is my tank as it is today.

Last edited by alowelle on Thu 08 Apr, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.
alowelle
Starting to get the hang of this place

Re: Anthony's 28L Nano Anemone Tank

Postby Basenji » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 11:19 am

Beautiful looking, well established tank. Well done.

There's a lot to be said for simplifying things and keeping the number of fish and invertebrate species down.

PS, if you want to embed the photo into your post, use the code:
Code: Select all
[img]https://i.imgur.com/0o8siuH.jpg[/img]

You will need to make sure your photo isn't too large. I think around 1400 pixels wide - to avoid it being cropped.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby alowelle » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 6:35 pm

Thanks for the tip. I tried the image posting thing and it worked.
I can fully agree - simplicity is the key.
alowelle

Postby alowelle » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 7:01 pm

EQUIPMENT
TANK (Just got lucky)

To start my reefing journey, I had to look for a cheap and small footprint tank. This goes against conventional reefing wisdom of "get the biggest tank you can afford". This just was not in the cards for me, I had a small budget and a small apartment. Luck however was on my side, along with amazing human generosity. This is a good story.

So here I was, researching and researching trying to find a solution to my problem (smallcheaptank). This involved a few trips to my local petbarn to look at their inventory. Until one day, an employee must have noticed that at I kept on looking at the tanks every other day without buying anything. He approached me and started a conversation - he turned out to be a reefer himself!! He gave me tons of valuable first hand reefing knowledge, and on top of that he told me to meet him at the back.

He gave me a fish tank that petbarn was throwing in the rubbish due to minor cosmetic damage.

I asked how much do I owe him.... he said "just show me photos of your tank when you are done".

WOW - thats the reefing community for you. I was hooked, and commited to not let this guy down.

Purchased a "Josef" stand from ikea for 70AUD
alowelle

Postby alowelle » Thu 08 Apr, 2021 9:33 pm

EQUIPMENT
LIGHTING (No way around this)

Things are always clearer in hindsight. I laugh at myself at how I contradicted myself several times during my build. Moreso as how stingy I was in spending money in this hobby.

I got myself a cheap ebay LED (Beamswork Power LED 200). Then I outdid myself and did a pathetic "King of DIY" attempt at modifying this light to add shades of blue and violet. Truly laughable looking back. I was very impressed at myself then as it somehow acheved a "look" of a real reef tank. A poser per se.

Thank goodness my rational self prevailed and realised that if I was truly serious about keeping BTAs, I needed a decent lighting system. AI just released their updated prime during that time and I finally spent more than double digits in this hobby.

I forked out for a black AI Prime HD. Went through different settings and schedules, unconsciously putting higher priority on achieving the "look". Battled a few algae blooms due to a combination of phosphates and intense lighting, until i settled with a schedule and intensity that I maintained for 4+ years.

I still wanted to achieve close to full brightness, managed this by only keeping full brightness for 3hrs from a very slow 6hour ramp up time peaking during the times that I was home more. This was between 6pm to 9 pm when I can admire my tank to the fullest. Also served as a good night light as it was ramping down to say goodnight.

Here are my settings.
alowelle

Return to Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)