• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Clowns spawning

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Clowns spawning

Postby DavidFidone » Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:27 am

Hi guys

I’m new at this Marine aquarium game

My Clowns are continually spawning and was going to see about maybe trying the seperate them and see if they hatch and live rather than they are either being eaten by my other fish or ending up in the filtration
So after some advice on how to go about it thanks in advance
DavidFidone
Lurking Reefer

Re: Clowns spawning

Postby gpsmart » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 3:28 am

The first thing you need to do is a whole lot of reading. After you have done the reading you need to try to figure out how much of it you can ignore.
Your best option is to let the clowns hatch in the tank and collect them from there. You will need to turn off the pumps at about time for lights out and the clowns will hatch within about an hour. Clowns may hatch over 1, 2 or 3 nights which can be a bit of a pain. The larval clowns will be attracted to light so a small led light perched on top of the tank will attract and concentrate to larvae. You then need to gently remove the clowns from the tank, I used to use a suction setup but whatever you use needs to be gentle.
The next thing you will need to do is feed them. The choice of feed will depend on the species of clown but don’t let people tell you that you need rotifers. Admittedly, with Ocellaris I had almost 100% survival on occasions with rotifers but I could still get up to 25% survival with BBS as a first food. For me that was still up to 150 survivors and much less work.
After you have done some reading decide if you want to give this a go, it’s not particularly difficult but it does take a commitment of time. If you want to give it a go let me know what species you have and I can give you some more advice.
Good luck,
Graham
gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby DavidFidone » Wed 16 May, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi Graham

Thanks for the reply

I just have the normal clown ( nemo ) sorry don’t know the scientific n
My son and I live our fish and thought that it could be great to see them hatch and grow and see what happens
The local aquarium said I needed rotifers and so on but said I should look up on google and take it from there
How long do they take to hatch . I can see the eggs where they attach them to some of the live rock then they get to when you can see like an eye within the egg then they disappear . Either they hatch or other fish eat them not sure . So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks Dave

One
DavidFidone
Lurking Reefer

Postby gpsmart » Thu 17 May, 2018 1:53 am

Hi Dave,
That’s all good news. The normal clowns are either ocellaris or percula. Much more likely to be ocellaris though. The progress you describe is normal. It sounds like they are hatching, which happens about an hour after lights out. If you turn your pumps off and place a very small torch on one of the braces shining down into the tank the babies will congregate in the light when they hatch. This typically happens 7 to 9 days after being layed on the rock. You don’t need rotifers for ocellaris but there is a trick to get them eating bbs. I will happily share this with you if you decide to go further. You will need a separate tank to raise them in along with an air pump, light, heater and a few other odds and ends. The only tricky part is gently removing the babies from the display tank.
Let me know if you intend to go further with this and I will get some more info to you.
Graham
gpsmart
Bicentenary Reefer

Return to Propagation & Breeding