From RTAW Reefpedia
This order of sea stars range in size from only a few millimetres to 75 centimetres in diameter. The primary characteristics is conspicuous marginal ossicles.
The order Valvatida is divided into seven families as follows;
- Archasteridae - tube feet with terminal disc, upper plates with column and spinelets
- Chaetasteridae -
- Goniasteridae - tube feet with terminal disc, large marginal plates
- Odontasteridae -
- Ophidiasteridae - tube feet with terminal disc, long and cylindrical arms, marginal plates distinct, skeleton solid, granular skin
- Oreasteridae - tube feed with terminal disc, upper skeleton reticulate, typically >10 cm radius
- Sphaerasteridae -
- Valvatida - Wikipedia
- (Mather Bennett 1994): Mather, P., Bennett, I., A coral reef handbook, Surrey Beatty and Sons: Chipping Norton, 1994.